Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

grinding going into 3rd and 4th after missed shift- syncros??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default grinding going into 3rd and 4th after missed shift- syncros??

Well, last night on the way home from work, i saw a c5 vette, and played around alittle with him on the highway; to make a long story short, i missed 4th gear from 3rd and hit 2nd (I did this last year to the car and bent pushrods). I know, i need to be more careful, but anyways,

the car didnt feel too bad after that, clutch a little mushy, im sure it was slipping, i didnt notice the tach jump past 6k, so im sure the engine is fine, i stomped back down on the clutch pretty damn fast since I knew what happened.

But, today as i took the car to work, shifting to 3rd from 4th, or 4th from 3rd, i get a quick "grinding" as i engage the clutch, never heard this before. best way for me to describe it is if you wear your brake pads all the way down, and are grinding metal on metal (but for under a second). As I got on the highway, it went away after I was 5th and 6th gear for 20 mins.

since its between 3rd and 4th, I have a feeling i screwed up the syncronizer, although the car shifted into gear without any extra effort?. I dont know much about trans's, but cannot think of anything else.

anyone else have this?
how worried should I be?

I dont want to remove the trans again (replaced with hays clutch last year).

Well, on the way home from work, it didnt do anything unusual, but I'd still like to know what it could have been.

any and all input is appreciated- thanks in advance

Miki

Quick Reply: grinding going into 3rd and 4th after missed shift- syncros??