Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

EXO-Skell / Spec Stg 3 Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default EXO-Skell / Spec Stg 3 Review

After putting a new setup in the car, the clutch finally decided to go. I knew it would as it has 15,000 miles on it, but was hoping I could get by until the summer. For those out there that knock Spec Clutches, I had great luck with mine minus the chatter. Car is H/C 400+HP. I beat the crap out of the spec for 15,000 miles and several track visits (5k+ launches). It held great and I never had a problem with it, until now.

I ordered a new EXO-Skell after debating on several different ones. I have been in a few cars with twin disks and weren't real happy with how they were. I bit the bullet and order the Tex off of Young. Great Service even with all my nagging emails/IMs. The car only has roughly 96miles on the new clutch, but I am VERY impressed so far with the street manners. There is hardly no chatter with this clutch at all. 10x better then the Spec. It is just a tad bit stiffer then the Spec. Engagement is almost at the top of the pedal (stock master), which is exactly where I wanted it to be. The engagement itself is a half on/half off type of engagement. It appears you can slip it a little when taking off. Not a instant on/off like others. The main thing I feared on this clutch was outside noise when the clutch was engaged. On two other twin disks, you could hear it on the OUTSIDE of the car and it was loud. When you engage the Tex, you have to be paying attention to hear it. It is there, but extremely faint.

Overall so far on the clutch I am extremely happy with it. I would say minus the minimal exterior noise, it can be used on a H/C car all day long and driven DAILY. I will give more updates as I put miles on the car but with snow on the ground, it may be a little longer.

Thanks Again to all that helped on this.