Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Swap 04 GTO T-56 into 98 Z28 w/ T-56???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Swap 04 GTO T-56 into 98 Z28 w/ T-56???

OK, first of all, I already did a search and can't find a clear cut answer.

I have an 04 GTO M6 and I have a 98 Z28 M6. I want to swap the transmissions so that the GTO has the Z28 tranny and the Z28 has the GTO tranny. From what I have read, it seems that it can be done by simply swapping the sensors, and swapping the transmissions w/ their shifters and everything will line up. I have read several posts and they are not clear about a couple of things. Are the input and output splines (will the driveshaft slip yokes work) the same for the Z and the GTO. Is the length of the tranny's the same (meaning, will I have to change drive shafts?)?

I have read that there is a difference in the shifters and the Z shifter will not work on the GTO tranny and vice versa (w/o modification). If use the GTO shifter in my Z and the Camaro shifter in my GTO, will it cause any type of mounting alignment problems or will the shifter handle hit the consoles on either car? I would love to do this swap today.

Could someone also point me in the direction on where I can find some instructions on how to take apart the center console on the GTO?

If you are curious as to why I am doing this, my GTO is a bone stock daily driver and it has the better transmission. My Z28 is my street strip car and the tranny is getting really notchy and I don't have the $$$ to rebuild or replace it. Both are out of warranty so I am trying to work with what I got.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are going to have to change the shifter high hat and shifter adapter. On the GTO they are different than the F-Body. Other than that it will bolt up. Not sure if the shifter is in the right location as I think it sits a little farther back than the Fbody.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 02-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Restricted User

Thanks for the info Amber.

I got the tranny out of the GTO. It was a bear to do on my back by myself and now all of my jack stands are under the goat. I am going to take the z28 and the GTO tranny with me to a buddies house and swap it on his lift. Then I will bring the z28 tranny back and put it back in the goat on my back w/o fluid (should be a little lighter).

On a side note, what is the correct way to remove the GTO drive shaft (an abortion if ever I have seen one)?????

I undid every single bolt and removed them on both flanges and it still wouldn't come out. I also removed the loop bracket thing that holds the 2 sections together. I ended up removing the bolts on the cat back and dropping it in the front, then I pried on the front of the shaft to seperate it from the slip yoke piece. Do you even have to remove any of the flange nuts and bolts?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me know if u had to change any sensors or conectors on the harness.. interested in the outcome also..
Old 02-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Restricted User

Well, with regards to the sensors, I am going to swap them just in case. It's too easy to do with both trannys on the floor next to each other to even consider risking putting them both in and then having to remove the sensors after the trannys are installed.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Restricted User

Oh, I forgot to mention that the slave cylinders do have to be swapped as the GTO uses a different connection method for the slave cylinder.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

I am running the T56 out of my wrecked GTO in my TA. All sensors are the same and everything lines right up. The only difficulty is that the Fbody shifter must be modified to work on the GTO transmission. I had previously done this in my GTO, so it was a simple swap for me.

You are correct on different connections on the clutch slave are different, but they can be swapped over.

Here is a thread where I made the Fbody shifter work in a GTO...don't pay attention to how to modify the handle as that is not necessary for your Fbody. You won't be able to use the GTO shifter on the Fbody transmission, so maybe you will be modifying two shifters...in which case you will have to modify the handle for the GTO.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=hurst

Just for entertainment reasons, here is why I went with the Hurst shifter...B&M SUCKS!!!

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=hurst

If you have any questions, my number is (318) 393-3959.

Galen

Oh yea, the gearing is also different in the transmissions. My TA with 4.11 gears tacks 2000 rpm at 60mph using the GTO transmission.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity are the wiring harnesses the same between the GTO T56 and the F-body T56?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Out of curiosity are the wiring harnesses the same between the GTO T56 and the F-body T56?
Everything on mine plugged right in.

Galen
Old 02-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Restricted User

Galen,

I see what you did in order to get it to work but you have to remember that you were trying to modify an Fbody shifter on to a GTO tranny and then have it work and line up in the GTO. According to Amber, all I have to do is swap the pin with the cup that the shifter sits in between the 2 transmissions and then I can put the stock GTO shifter back on the GTO w/ the Fbody tranny and my Pro 5.0 shifter will go on the GTO tranny in my f body. So, I wont have to get in to all that. You see, the focus of my project is the Z28 not the GTO.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

If those parts are easily interchanged, I was unaware. If you do this, please take some pics so I can see how to do this. A lot of the GTO people would also probably be interested. I may look at my extra T56 tomorrow to see if it looks easy or not.

Good luck!

Galen
Old 02-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Restricted User

You had to do what you did in order to accomplish what you needed. In other words, you were trying to get the F-body shifter to work in the GTO with the GTO trans in the GTO console. That isn't what I am trying to do. I am trying to get the GTO trans into the F-body with the F-body shifter and the F-body trans into the GTO with the GTO SHIFTER. By switching out the cup and pin, I am basically turning one trans into the other as it is the only difference. Now, if I was trying to get the F-body shifter into the GTO and the GTO Shifter into F-body, I would have to make the mods that you made due to the different location of the whole in the tunnel and the different console and so on. I hope to be able to put it in today. Waiting on the lift to be available.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

i just did the swap to the gto tranny yesterday. i posted about it.

everything went great, i used my bell housing,sensors and also the shifter socket eveything went smoothly and love the new trans, i have a 4.10 gear so im shifting alot more now, but that doesnt bother me.

-brandon
Old 02-11-2007, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

and yes, keep the fbody shifter w/ the fbody and gto shifter w/ the gto.

now technically if you dont have a center console in your fbody you could use the gto shifter, but the would be pointless as it has the linkage and stuff.

everything on the ouside of the 2 trannys are the same, there are 2 differences that i saw but nothing to worry about, just switch the stuff over and slap it in. youll be deadly now from almost gear from a roll
Old 02-11-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course you know the gear sets are different within the two units as well as the synchro sets. They will still swap just as well but the do work differently.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by calhoon
Of course you know the gear sets are different within the two units as well as the synchro sets. They will still swap just as well but the do work differently.
And by different you mean better
Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well maybe. They are different ratios. The std LS1 Fcar set is a 2.66 LGR and the GTO is a 2.97 LGR.
The GTO blocker ring sets are better by virtue of added capacity( tri- cone 1/2, doub- cone 3/4 & 5/6)
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

from 1st hand experience the last 2 days, i love this tranny, and the 4.10s. its just sick from a roll now. im anxious to see this combo of mine at the track.

-brandon
Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Restricted User

Tonite's the night that I put mine in. I can't wait.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Did you have to reprogram the speedo for the different gearing in the Tranny?

Quick Reply: Swap 04 GTO T-56 into 98 Z28 w/ T-56???