Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brad8266
What parts should I buy to install my new clutch? Im goinbg to keep my old slave cylinder but should I pick up a new TO bearing and pilot? The pilot is only like 10$ and i think the TO is like 60$. is the To worth it to get a new one or should I just use the old one?
OOOHHHH YES ---it is worth it for sure..... get good parts---saves you in the long run.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

I looked at the Bronze and Kevlar bushing. They concerned me a little. I almost went with the solid one because i had difficulty finding a bearing that would fit snug in the crank. The input shaft rides inside the bushing. When the clutch engaged the input shaft matches the cranks speeds. When the clutch is not engaged the crank would be spinning faster than the input shaft. What happens to all that friction? What happens if i left my car warm up for 5 minutes, what keeps the solid bushing from burning up?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiplashDVD
I looked at the Bronze and Kevlar bushing. They concerned me a little. I almost went with the solid one because i had difficulty finding a bearing that would fit snug in the crank. The input shaft rides inside the bushing. When the clutch engaged the input shaft matches the cranks speeds. When the clutch is not engaged the crank would be spinning faster than the input shaft. What happens to all that friction? What happens if i left my car warm up for 5 minutes, what keeps the solid bushing from burning up?
You would warm your car up with your foot holding down the clutch for five minutes?

This is why I never sit at stoplights with the car in gear and the clutch pedal down. My friend does that and it drives me nuts.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by P Mack
You would warm your car up with your foot holding down the clutch for five minutes?

This is why I never sit at stoplights with the car in gear and the clutch pedal down. My friend does that and it drives me nuts.

tell him to get a stiffer clutch! I cant hold mine down for a minute if i wanted to!! LOL
Old 04-04-2007, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Alright, now im following you. When the clutch is engaged the input shaft is matched speeds with the crank. So no additional friction. Only when the clutch is disengaged it will be creating heat. Anyone ever relplaced a clutch after using a bronze bushing for an extended time? What is the condition of the input shaft? Does it have heat markings?

Originally Posted by P Mack

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing?