Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed today that when I put the car on a flat surface, push the clutch in and put it in gear the car starts moving forward. I guess my clutch is dragging. These problems occured when I put the new clutch and slave cylinder in. If the pressure plate bolts didn't back out should I shim the slave and replace it.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

I bought one of the first runs of these Textralia clutches when they first came out and i can tell you ive never been happier with any other clutch. thankfully, i didnt have any of these issues.
since im putting a new motor in with a ton more power im lookin to upgrade to an Exoskel.

i hope you figure it out cause i know once your engagment issue gets sorted, you'll love the feel of it. goodluck.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTramair
I bought one of the first runs of these Textralia clutches when they first came out and i can tell you ive never been happier with any other clutch. thankfully, i didnt have any of these issues.
since im putting a new motor in with a ton more power im lookin to upgrade to an Exoskel.

i hope you figure it out cause i know once your engagment issue gets sorted, you'll love the feel of it. goodluck.
Same here. ive done about 5000 miles and 50-60 passes on my OZ700, and it has been faultless ( aside from PP bolts backing out, which was my fault for being lazy with the air gun ! )

Pedal feels like stock, and drives like stock. Hell, when I removed it fo fit a new tranny, I'd say after all that abuse, its only just fully broke in !!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
I just noticed today that when I put the car on a flat surface, push the clutch in and put it in gear the car starts moving forward. I guess my clutch is dragging. These problems occured when I put the new clutch and slave cylinder in. If the pressure plate bolts didn't back out should I shim the slave and replace it.
Did you ever find/fix the problem? I have been having the exact same issue.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
Did you ever find/fix the problem? I have been having the exact same issue.
I had the same problem with two different pressure plates from Textralia. To their credit every time they offered to replace parts to make good. Eventually I got tired of paying to have the clutch R&R'd and put in an LS7. I am much happier with the LS7. Unfortunately I think my syncros were damaged from the miles I put on with the dragging Textralia which now sits in my basement.

I know most people are very happy with their Tex's, and the customer service is top notch. For some reason I never could get one to work for me. The LS7 has been a much better experience for me.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurboDan
I had the same problem with two different pressure plates from Textralia. To their credit every time they offered to replace parts to make good. Eventually I got tired of paying to have the clutch R&R'd and put in an LS7. I am much happier with the LS7. Unfortunately I think my syncros were damaged from the miles I put on with the dragging Textralia which now sits in my basement.

I know most people are very happy with their Tex's, and the customer service is top notch. For some reason I never could get one to work for me. The LS7 has been a much better experience for me.
Well I have had the same problem for a while and getting response or any customer service from them has been very difficult. I have tried everything I could do without pulling the tranny to start replacing stuff thats already new. What I don't get is, My clutch master, slave and everything was put in new with this clutch. I have again changed the Master cylinder, and bled it multiple times. It has very little time on it and just progressively got worse. My pedal release point is right where stock is, the pedal feels good and it doesn't slip....just drags Bad.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Cooked fluid can definitely cause these types of problems.

Here's what I did (albeit not cheap):

1. Added a bleeder extension line to the slave cylinder so that the bleeder screw is back up by the master cylinder reservoir (steve-d on here makes them).

2. Wrapped BOTH lines in heat wrap on the WHOLE line. I put shrink wrap tubing around that to make sure nothing would move or come unwrapped.

3. Used a good DOT 4 brake fluid for the hydraulics (Ate Super Blue)

4. Bought a pressure bleeder from Motive along with the right adapter for the clutch master reservoir. Pressurize it, open the bleeder screw, and watch the bubbles come out.

I haven't had a bit of trouble since.
I'm planning to follow your advice.
I already ordered the Remote Bleeder Extension

Which Motive Adapter fits the Clutch Fluid Resivor?

http://www.motiveproducts.com/03adapters.html
Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Teching In

I have an OZ 700 with ~2K on it, a new Bendix slave, a new OEM master, a SS hard clutch line and a SS remote bleeder. I run Motul fluid, have bled with both the pump the pedal method and vacuum bleeding. At high rpm, over ~5500, I have difficulty shifting into 2, 3 and 4th...as in at the track. On the street, normal driving, it's OK. I'm banging my head on the wall with this now. I've read about a term called 'centrifugal apply' where at high rpm the PP has a problem. I've got an email into Textralia now. Frustration, oh yeh!

Tom.

PS: Oh, and I STILL lose some pedal firmess at WOT despite everything I've done!

Last edited by Yowzerman; 12-15-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Did you loctite the PP bolts ?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yowzerman
I have an OZ 700 with ~5K on it, a new Bendix slave, a new OEM master, a SS hard clutch line and a SS remote bleeder. I run Motul fluid, have bled with both the pump the pedal method and vacuum bleeding. At high rpm, over ~5500, I have difficulty shifting into 2, 3 and 4th...as in at the track. On the street, normal driving, it's OK. I'm banging my head on the wall with this now. I've read about a term called 'centrifugal apply' where at high rpm the PP has a problem. I've got an email into Textralia now. Frustration, oh yeh!

Tom.

PS: Oh, and I STILL lose some pedal firmess at WOT despite everything I've done!
Mine does that as well but I associate it with the clutch dragging. My PP bolts were loctited and torqued correctly. My problem very well could be hydraulic related, but the clutch, slave, master, fluid was all new when installed. I have now replaced the master again. If shimming the slave, adjustable master or anything would fix the issue I would do it. These are the questions I have asked Textralia without response. The problem with me just trying these things is, once i do these things if infact the clutch itself is the issue....I wouldn't want to send it back to textralia for them to blame me for damaging the clutch when they adviced me not to use these items when i purchased it, forcing me to eat the $1k i paid for it.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Did you loctite the PP bolts ?

Yes, they're tight. I will probably put a shim in there and see how that affects things...nothing left to do at this point...well, one thing...LOL!

Tom.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yowzerman
Yes, they're tight. I will probably put a shim in there and see how that affects things...nothing left to do at this point...well, one thing...LOL!

Tom.
I hope this fixes the issue Tom! I'm tired of this and I've just begun to experience it.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder if heat generated from headers has anything to do with this.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSDude
before when i was n/a (~450/430) i never had a problem with this. i could power shift it all day long at the track and it never missed a beat. now with fi (~660/680) it has problems. it didn't start immediately after i went fi, but probably the 3rd time out a the track.

my manifolds are not near the tranny, but the turbos are. but with that said as well; Tom is n/a and this is happening with lsx cars altogether, so i would tend to think that is not the case.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSDude
My clutch line has been double wrapped and behind a heat shield so that has little to do with it. After close inspection, and having the clutch looked at....the problem is nothing more then needed an adjustable master to get alittle more pedal travel. Finally on my way to getting everything straightened out.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
My clutch line has been double wrapped and behind a heat shield so that has little to do with it. After close inspection, and having the clutch looked at....the problem is nothing more then needed an adjustable master to get alittle more pedal travel. Finally on my way to getting everything straightened out.
could shimming the slave cylinder/throw out bearing accomplish the same result? lifting the contact point higher in the pedal, thus giving you more pedal travel. just from searching the forums here i've seen some people not too thrilled with the adjustable master cylinder.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Same here! My Tex does the same thing when it's cold. I have a brand new tranny with new slave/master too.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paco loco
could shimming the slave cylinder/throw out bearing accomplish the same result? lifting the contact point higher in the pedal, thus giving you more pedal travel. just from searching the forums here i've seen some people not too thrilled with the adjustable master cylinder.
I would assume so, however you would not have the adjustability of the master...the end result is the same from what i can tell.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A shim will not do anything to resolve clutch drag.

If someone has an issue, the best way to get in touch with us is via email.

admin@textralia.com.au

So anyone, and I mean anyone who has an issue then send us an email, and we'll get back to you straight away.

-Jarrod
Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Textralia
A shim will not do anything to resolve clutch drag.

If someone has an issue, the best way to get in touch with us is via email.

admin@textralia.com.au

So anyone, and I mean anyone who has an issue then send us an email, and we'll get back to you straight away.

-Jarrod
Jarrod, we're currently exchanging emails but I have a question for you here: What would you recommend as a 'general fix' for a clutch, any clutch, which is dragging? Thanks.

Tom.

Quick Reply: Textralia Clutch Problem