Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission Hard to shift into reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Hard to shift into reverse?

Okay, so most of you know how when you're shifting your car while stopped, there is the space between 5-6, and then you have to pop it over slightly more to get it lined up with reverse. Normally this is just as easy as putting it between in other set of gears, unless you're slightly moving of course.

My car started throwing a SES light, and the next day it started getting hard to move over into reverse. Basically if I try it with one hand like normal, I can't move it past the 5-6 space, I have to use my left hand to shove the stick over to get it lined up with reverse. It happens everytime I try and put it in reverse. Every other gear is fine, the effort to move the stick is the same everywhere else. Once you're in all gears they drive fine.

The code I'm throwing is the P0803 1-4 Upshift (Skip Shift) Solenoid Control Circuit Malfunction. I've had skipshift disabled on my car for years, but I don't know if the solonoid that activates it normally just went bad. Even if the solonoid has went bad, I don't understand why that would be effecting the shifting effort into reverse.

I had recently installed a McLeod twin disk, new slave, adjustable master, but that was about 3 weeks before all this happened, and I'd put plenty of miles on it since then.

Ideas? I'm trying to see how the issues could be related, to see if that helps me fix it. Or if they're not related any ideas to why the shifting effort got higher all of a sudden.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the clutch work was done, they mis-plugged the harness. Check that the white plug is in the white solenoid(skip) and the black is in the black solenoid( reverse).
Old 03-16-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have the same problem, maybe I plugged them in wrong last week when i installed the new engine.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

i might be wrong, but i had the same problem with my car and it was crappy brake fluid in the hyd. system for the clutch....it was sooo broken down that the car wouldnt go into any gears. maybe they got water in the fluid or something when bleeing the system. might be worth checking.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Check your ENG SEN fues under the hood..
Old 03-16-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CamaroTrish
i might be wrong, but i had the same problem with my car and it was crappy brake fluid in the hyd. system for the clutch....it was sooo broken down that the car wouldnt go into any gears. maybe they got water in the fluid or something when bleeing the system. might be worth checking.
Mine goes through gears fine, its just hard to push the shitfer into reverse.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what clahoon and Sgt. Spuds said. If that's not it, pull the codes and probably a bad reverse lock out solenoid.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brad8266
same here! a friend told me it was the clutch but I'm not sure. the clutch feels very soft with very little pressure.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

If it was the clutch it would be hard to put in all the gears.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

thats how it started, did you at least check it?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its most likely a problem with the reverse lockout solonoid, but it can also be the speedometer sensor, are you having any problems with your speedometer? the 2 of them work in conjunction with each other. first try this, in your fuse panel there is a fuse for the reverse lockout, pull it out then put it back in. ive seen some of the cars that ive done trannys for where the reverse lockout needed to be reset for whatever reason, if that doesent work take the solonoid out (its 1 13mm bolt and then pull it out, its right below where the shifter goes on the tail shaft) and jump 12 volt power from the battery to 1 prong on the solonoid and the other one to ground on the battery and you should hear it click and while there is power to it it should be very easy to push in, if this doesent work replace the solonoid
Old 03-18-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CamaroTrish
thats how it started, did you at least check it?
yeah my clutch is new and it is fine
Old 03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm, I swapped the clutch myself, so it's possible I put the sensors back in the wrong plugs. I think that would cause the problem immediately though, not a week or so down the line.

I'm not having any problems with the speedometer.

I can't check any of these things until May. My car is parked at my parents house in Indiana right now while I'm working out in Arizona for the semester. I'm just trying to get some ideas on what it could be before I go home.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it was the clutch it would be hard to put in all the gears.

Does your clutch feels very soft and spongy? because mine does
Old 03-19-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ALPHA Q
Does your clutch feels very soft and spongy? because mine does
no my clutch is perfectly fine, even with the car off its just as hard to pop it in reverse.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Check your ENG SEN fues under the hood..
This is the best advice I have seen so far. I have been looking this up and that fuse seems to be the problem to alot of people. I have the same problem and I can tell you it is not your clutch or internal trans. It is in the solenoid or the elec going to it. If you remove the solenoid you'll see how easy it is to move the shifter all the way over, but be careful when driving (it gets taking used to). I also have the bypass for the skipshift but I am not throwing any codes. I am about to post another thread asking how to get to the solenoid wiring the easiest (unless I find something on it first.)
Good luck and please keep us posted. I'll do the same.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lmt0705
its most likely a problem with the reverse lockout solonoid, but it can also be the speedometer sensor, are you having any problems with your speedometer? the 2 of them work in conjunction with each other. first try this, in your fuse panel there is a fuse for the reverse lockout, pull it out then put it back in. ive seen some of the cars that ive done trannys for where the reverse lockout needed to be reset for whatever reason, if that doesent work take the solonoid out (its 1 13mm bolt and then pull it out, its right below where the shifter goes on the tail shaft) and jump 12 volt power from the battery to 1 prong on the solonoid and the other one to ground on the battery and you should hear it click and while there is power to it it should be very easy to push in, if this doesent work replace the solonoid

where is the fuse panel and which is the fuse for the reverse lock out?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ALPHA Q
where is the fuse panel and which is the fuse for the reverse lock out?
Its the fuse block under the hood, fuse is labeled ENG SENS, that was the cause of my reverse problem, it was that blown fuse.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine ended up being a fuse (easy fix). I have a buddy who had the same issue, but his ended up being the reverse lock out selonoid gone bad.

I can pretty much garuntee its one out of these two.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

yup. I gotta get info on the best way to get to it. Anyone know if its in the Haynes book?

Quick Reply: Transmission Hard to shift into reverse?