Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Chatter - Ram Powergrip H.D.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brismo7
whew, thanks for the information guys. i just built an Ls1 Rx7 and got a used Ram HD clutch and flywheel with my transmission purchase(he said the clutch and flywheel had about 1000 miles on it) And when i take off, my car sometimes vibrates A Lot. i was afraid it was because of the way i installed it. i had thoughts of the flywheel working itself loose and exploding out of the bell housing.

I have 3.90 gears in mine. Also, i dont know if this is a Ram thing, or possibly the way i setup my clutch, but it catches at the VERY top when releasing. practically all they way out. anyone elses like this?
you need to do the adj master mod. or just get the ram adj master. and dont worry about all the shaking upon engagement, its normal for a ram, i had to start using poly grip to keep my teeth from falling out and i dont wear dentures.lol
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

chatter from day one and self destructed @ 6000miles.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a RAM Powergrip HD and it is as smooth as the factory LS6 clutch was.

I also have a RAM Pressure Plate and a RAM Billett Flywheel & RAM Adj. Master.

Never chattered one bit.

Clutch chatter isn't normal.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother's got one in his 02 Z28 with 4.10s and he has no chatter at all unless you really bog it pulling away in first. Some of the higher clamp rated clutches require a bit more RPM to get moving in first, especially the ones with the puck style disk. My Spec 3 was the same way.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Geese back from the dead! I have probably 20K miles on my Ram clutch now. It still feels great. It only chatters if you bog it down and are about to stall. I still have the factory 3.42's. My buddy put one in after I did on his 99 camaro and has 3.73's and it only chatterd for a few miles but not as much as mine did. Its all about the gear you have as far as chatter. I love this clutch and reccomend it over a spec clutch any day.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

i have a ram VDS and it is the oppisite of what some say of getting better after break in, it was smooth as silk for about 500miles or so, then i started rompin on it and the hotter it gets the more it grabs. it was put in while i has the stock 3.42's then i went 4.1's and was some better, not really better it was just esier to hit the sweet spot pulling out. i put more shims it it last time i had it out and is some better now. i killed the posi at the track and swaped out a temp 3.23 open diff and with being used to it now and having the extra shims its not any worse to drive than the 4.1's were, actually seems better than the 3.42' but i think its a combo of being use to it and haveing more shims. i love how some would say it takes more rpm's to hit the sweet spot, or only chatters when about to bog, im sure mine is worse than most but here is how mine works....... enough rpm's to make the tires spin about one turn upon taking off = no chatter, and almost perfect except the.... i swear officer thats how you have to do it with my clutch, factor........ then you have the just barely, and i mean barely not getting tire spin take off = perfect sweet spot......... then there is anything normal take off, or even high rpm tryin to barely slip the cluth take off(not happing) = hold on you might get shook out of the car if your not buckled in. dont get me wrong, i love the clutch, it has held up to some nasty abuse witch is y i bought it. IMO its a great clutch for a weekend toy, but alittle too violant for an everyday, see's alot of in town traffic car, and mine is an everyday car so i with for the money of the VDS being just as much as the tex, i wish i had gone textralia.

so to sum this up, it has taken a beating and no complaints other than the chatter, but i wasnt sure if something smooth could hold the abuse i planned on giving it. so i was willing to sacrifice some to get the grip i needed.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Thats a more aggresive clutch then I have. I have the Ram level 3 power grip clutch.

Quick Reply: Clutch Chatter - Ram Powergrip H.D.