Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ASAP

Well I'm having a major problem with my clutch in my 99 Z28. Right now there is no pressure behind the peddal. It is just mush. I also can't see any fluid in the clutch fluid resivoir. Master Cylinder? Slave? Any help on this would be great.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Launching!

c'mon guys. I really need to get on this. As of right now I don't have a car.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a blown slave. Pour some fluid in it and check under the car for fluid leaking from the bellhousing slit.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can maybe feel the carpet under master and feel master to see if its wet. If its not master its slave. If its slave you have to pull the tranny apart to get to it. Way to go GM!! in the lt1 the slave was external..5 minutes to change it out. Now in the ls1 its internal. Not too f@@king impressed with that gm! Also they put the bleeder in a really stupid spot. I would drill a hole above it or get a speed bleeder extension thing if you are going to swap it out. Save you a lot of grief. I am not sure which is more annoying the internal slave or the master with the stupid ubolt from hell!

Most cars I work on these days have external slaves.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Well the good part of this whole deal is that if it is indeed the slave the car is going in for a tranny rebuild at the end of next week so the tranny will be out anyways.

I will check the slave in the morning but where is the master located at exactly? I'm relativly new to these cars.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 PM
wrencher

Look under the dash where the clutch pedal is.
There is a rod that connects to the pedal. Follow that & that is the master, see if it is leaking there & into the car on the carpet.

If you fill it & it leaks out the bell housing then you need a slave.
did the pedal go away slow, I'm betting it is a master.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Launching!

well i don't see any fluid on the carpet or in the car and the pedal went pretty fast. i left home and it was normal and less than half a mile away it started to feel really bad so i headed for home. this was almost stop and go traffic though.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

the master cylinder is underneath the hood right by the driverside dash. All the way in the back near the side mirror. White/clear cap. And pray to god that you dont have to change it b/c I changed mine (along w/ the slave cylinder) on tuesday and it took longer than to take out the transmission. probably close to an hour. Its just a biotch to get to. lol you have to have patience.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Launching!

if it is indeed the master would you guys recomend going with something upgraded like a Mcloed or a RAM or just stick with a stocker?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

I put in a new master/slave b/c i just upgraded to a ram clutch/flywheel. just get a new gm one. they have a quick disconnect. and they are usually prebled already. just hook it up and your ready to go. lol of course you have to take apart underneath your dash/ disconnect the clutch pedal... blah blah blah. You will probably need a friend to help you with it... atleast it saved me some time. also helps to have small arms/fingers. lol haha the clutch pedal piston thing is mounted underneath the brake booster (right behind the master cylinder) it is nearly impossible to see but you just have to work at it. there is a u bolt that holds it to the firewall where it is mounted. you will probably have to reuse that. mine didnt come with a new one. if you have any more questions about it feel free to pm me. Sorry i put so much to read... lol

Good luck.. again. lol
Old 05-25-2007, 07:52 AM
wrencher

I would suggest the stocker or the Ram. The Ram is a stock unit moddified to be adjustable. See the adjustable master thread in the sticky section in this forum. You can also mod them your self.