Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

who else is using the Spec Super twin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like we are pulling mine tomorrow, unless i see some damage etc, mine is getting sent back as well....
Old 09-13-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

They seem to be owning up to this so far. I'll keep you guys posted on what the outcome is.
Joe
Old 09-14-2007, 02:19 AM
Banned

Spec is gonna check out Joe's and then go from there on other customers.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KtownGoat
Looks like we are pulling mine tomorrow, unless i see some damage etc, mine is getting sent back as well....
Pull the trans and measure from the edge of the bellhousing (where the trans bolts up) to the clutch fingers. Then remove the spring from the slave cylinder (don'thave to, but it makes things easier) and measure from the face of the trans to the face of the throw out bearing. You need to have ~1/8" air gap between the two as per GM specs (I *think* it was .125-.150). Mine is actually 1/8" negative gap (1/8" worth of pressure riding on the clutch) and the clutch is 1/4" too tall.

I'm curious to see what they are going to do about this. It was pretty frustrating being treated like it was just me and it must be my car for FOUR PRIOR TRANS REMOVALS (of course, they DON'T REIMBURSE LABOR ). At least they are owning up to it, that says a lot right there. I had a feeling they were actually kind of anxious to see mine and apparently per Maryland Speeds post, they are so that they know how to handle other issues. I just hope others who call with similar issues/concerns aren't told "we've never heard of that before"
Joe
Old 09-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Pulled mine today and have the same exact problem as above, and you have a PM...
Old 09-15-2007, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz
I don't expect it to work like a stocker, but I do expect it to work as advertised. I also don't have a problem with on/off engagement- I have driven/owned numerous clutches over the years with very finicky clutches. The problem is it grabs all the way at the top 1/4 to 1/2" and never quite felt "right", like it the pressure plate was never fully "unsprung" before the pedal hit the stop.

My feelings exactly with mine. I've got about 1,000 miles on it in my Z28 and the pedal has seemed high to me since day one. Like it's not fully engaged. It hasn't slipped yet, but I'm going to be pissed if it does.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yup, sounds exactly like mine. I know it isn't fun to pull the trans out, but I'd be curious to know your air gap measurement or lack thereof. Mine is the carbon metallic pucked disks with ~4000 miles on them at ~800rwtq in a 3800# car and it didn't start to slip until last week.

Keep an eye on this thread as I'm sure myself, Ktown and Maryland Speed will keep it updated with the latest info.

Good luck.
Joe
Old 09-16-2007, 03:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Orange99Z
My feelings exactly with mine. I've got about 1,000 miles on it in my Z28 and the pedal has seemed high to me since day one. Like it's not fully engaged. It hasn't slipped yet, but I'm going to be pissed if it does.

I had 380 mi. on mine, It started to slip on the autobahn in a 3000 rpm 4th gear pass....3/4 throttle. and i have the carbon graphite pucks. Stocker is back in and holding fine.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt??
Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like something changed from pre=production to the production piece.We got 1 pre and 1 when they first released and the gaps were fine.They are both in high hp cars that have over a year on them with no problems.These clutches do disengage up high but even with the air gap.Looks like someone changed something on these in the production phase.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, where we stand with *my* clutch (don't know if it is the same for all, probably is) is that they have refaced the disks and cleaned up the rest of the unit. They refaced the lower disk with pads that are approx .016" thicker than what was on there for a total of ~.032" thicker lower disk. The top disk, they rebuilt with the original pads. They are reassembling it today and will be measuring the assembly once done to ensure that it is in spec with stock. They feel that the .032" on the disk should get my 1/4" back at the fingers, no problem.

I have a feeling they want to wait until mine is back here and I can get some measurements (air gap mainly) and then see how it performs before saying "it's been resolved and this is what we'll do if you have a problem".

I will keep you guys updated.
Joe
Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a cheap fix to me.If the clutch wears it might go back to the same way.I would think if they milled the PP mating surface it would be better.Either way will pull the clutch fingers away from the tranny.

What clutch material are you running?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking that too- machine the pressure plate legs. They seem to think this will fix it though, we'll see. I am using the carbon-metallic pucked disks.
Joe
Old 09-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

It does not sound like a good fix to me, more like a temp fix, they are only increasing the thickness of something that will get thinner with wear....
Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, but at the same time, if they did take it out of the pressure plate itself- as the clutch disk wears, it would do the same thing anyway. I am a bit concerned as to it's longevity though . We'll see what happens. I still think it may cause premature slipping before the disks fully wear though. The thing I am most concerned with is my slave bottoming out and applying pressure to the thrust bearing if it happens again- I'll be pissed if it were to hurt my motor!
Joe
Old 09-21-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thinking about it- they added about .030" to the disk material- but they told me to allow for ~.020 wear per disk and ~.005" wear on the friction surfaces- that's a hell of a lot more than the .030" that they added. Oh well, we'll see how it holds up.
Joe
Old 09-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

yep, does not make sense to me...
Old 09-22-2007, 08:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting thread. I was looking at these clutches too, but I'd like to see the out come of this.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just wanted to let you guys know that the clutch is back in- much, MUCH better. Engagement, while still high, isn't as high or as on/off as before and feels "normal" now- no more of that feeling like the pressure plate isn't fully unsprung like it had before.

Like a bonehead, I completely forgot to measure the air gap before installing the trans. I did the work by myself on my back and once I got the bell housing on, I wanted to measure so I dragged the trans under the car next to me to measure it and by the time I struggled with getting it under there I lost track of what I was doing and put it in. Once it was up, there is no way in hell I was going to pull it back down again- I had hernia surgery last year and this stuff doesn't exactly tickle to do .

Anyway, the clutch was definitely a good 1/4" lower than before, so that's good news in itself .
Joe
Old 09-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet! maybe mine will be fixed soon as well....

Quick Reply: who else is using the Spec Super twin?