Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, well i know im getting a short stick, so is it worth is to get the pro 5.0 as well? i just want to be able to hit 3rd easier and have all around better shifting.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you ever have problems missing 3rd gear? If you do, get the Pro 5.0 and you shouldn't ever miss it again. The 2-3 is beveled so it shoots right into gear. I love mine. It was a substantial difference over the stock non-Hurst shifter.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
Do you ever have problems missing 3rd gear? If you do, get the Pro 5.0 and you shouldn't ever miss it again. The 2-3 is beveled so it shoots right into gear. I love mine. It was a substantial difference over the stock non-Hurst shifter.
I don't know what it is that you're talking about that's beveled. And while the Pro 5.0 has a distinctly more solid feel than the factory or Hurst shifters, it's not a cure-all. You still gotta shift, and with a short stick the effort is a bit higher.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

thank you, that answers all my questions
Old 06-01-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kavslayer
I bought a after market hurst billet shifter(was told at a later date that they were really hard on the Shift forks) and its REALLY tall. If i buy a WS6 store short stick will it bolt to the after market hurst?
Ditto. The Hurst stick is really tall and since it isn't round You cant just cut and re-thread it... will the LSS or WS6 short stick work with my Hurst?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by A-man930
Ditto. The Hurst stick is really tall and since it isn't round You cant just cut and re-thread it... will the LSS or WS6 short stick work with my Hurst?
Yes the short stick works with the Hurst shifter. Makes a load of difference.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lous short stick
Old 06-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
I cut over an inch off of the Pro 5.0 stick that came with the shifter and it's perfect. Other short sticks with the Pro 5.0 shifter just don't work as well. The Pro 5.0 Power Tower is basically mounted off-center compared to the stock shifter and therefore a straight stick does not work well enough. The Pro 5.0 stick that comes in the box is angled and works perfectly with at least 1" cut off of it.

Just put the stick in a vice and use a hack saw with a fine-toothed blade. Cuts right through it. Then use a file or a grinder to bevel the edges of the threads so the shift **** goes on easier.
Precisely my thoughts. I would suggest getting a Pro 5.0 shifter and try it out as-is first to see how you like it. Most people will cut ~1" of thread off the top of it (since there is like 1.5-2" of thread), and then you should be set. I have a Pro 5.0 with 1" cutoff and am using the factory round leather shift **** and its perfect for me.

Quick Reply: Short throw shifter