Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

After 15 months and 15000 miles, look what happened to my Textralia

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 05:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A few things could of done that.
I'm thinking since it chattered and squeeled you slipped it good on the street to start off the car. You can not do that with a performance clutch and expect it to last. The street is alot more abussive than the track is. When people say they never went to the track, my question is -why did you buy a race clutch then?

15k is good out of clutches like these.That might sound bad but clutches of this material are not suppose to last forever like a stock clutch.They are suppose to hold abuse and higher hp setups in there shorter life
Old 06-15-2007, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine only goes to get tuned or to the track. about 2k crusing miles, 40 total track/street passes. it doesn't look near as bad as those in this thread, it just slips at the track on a hard launch.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The clutch is advertised pretty sure as being streetable. Now streetable maybe means different things to different people. To me it means fairly light pedal pressure,
ability to move off the lights without having to rev it to the moon and to be able to leave without tons of chatter also. And to last a decent amount of miles.

That said so far at 300 miles my tex twin has very reasonable pedal pressure. It don't really seem to have much chatter or squeal.The floater plate makes noise when clutch pedal is pressed down. It seems not too loud or mabye I am getting used to it.

And the clutch is not totally on/off I can drive it in traffic already without much problem but to me it does seem it can get grabbier with longer drives thru town and hoping that lessens with a bit more break in miles. One reason I went to a race clutch is that at my planned power levels not a lot of street options. Although there seem to be more lately. The ram street twin, mcleod street twins and fidanza twins and think clutchmaster twins mabye are options and spec twin maybe too. Some are targeted to definitely be street clutch. Fidanza is advertising not heavy pressure. very smooth streetable , good power holding and no or minimal floater rattle as is ram and the mcleods also think have had good luck as street clutches not just track clutches. So it seems you can have both. That said the tex in gridlock heavy traffic is likely to not be that great for it. As most metallic /ceramic types do grab more as they get hotter which makes them work good at the track. Not so good on the street.

Peter at tex did mention they had street type discs for the twins. I assume more organic or kevlar or whatever hybrid. Too bad there was no mention of this option on their website or any of the sponsors. I would likely have went for the more streetable discs since my car is not a track car but I do like a clutch that can hold the power. I will be pretty pissed if my tex twin dies at 15,000 miles. Will likley go to a more street friendly disc at that point possibly even swap out my race type discs for street discs next spring. I can't see why a clutch with near stocker type linings could not last 50,000 miles or more. So that might be the answer. Stay away from metallic/ceramic type clutches if you are going to do much heavy street driving.

Oh well see how it goes.

Quick Reply: After 15 months and 15000 miles, look what happened to my Textralia