Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Sticking clutch pedal write-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See...this is what's making this so difficult for me. For one, i don't even have a damn bleeder valve on my tranny. The slave isn't even inside the tranny!!! So yeah, working on the slave is easier but i have no way to actually BLEED the system!!! This is really pissing me off...I bought this car thinking this would be the ONLY issue i would have to resolve, and here i am 3 weeks later with the same damn problem: "Start car, drive's fine for about 15 minutes...lose clutch pedal pressure, can't get into gear without pumping...turn car off.....repeat."
Old 03-07-2008, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Update on my issue, it looks like it's the clutch itself, pressure plate probably. I changed the master and slave to the newer 01-02 style and it still sticks to the floor at the end of 3rd and into 4th. I didn't change it all because our first track day is Sunday and I had hope that this would fix it and I could hit the track. But I guess i'll be ordering a LS7 clutch and doing it all again next week. I tell ya, sometimes I wish I had an auto...
Old 03-21-2008, 04:39 PM

would donig the drill mod to the clutch line help me?????
Old 03-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

how do i bleed the system if my clutch pedal doesnt build enough pressure to use the mity vac or drill mod bleeding.. i've done both so far.. dealer says its not under warranty and will be $750 to fix.. should i have them replace the master cylinder since that is under warranty? i dont have the tools to replace the slave nor the funds to pay someone that much for a $35 part..

i guess i can't be to pissed.. the weather isn't that great here in northin il..

thanks guys, Harley
Old 04-05-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

subscribing...thanks!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Anyone done the bleed and drillmod on a C5 vette? The instructions posted for a camaro don't help much. Too high up on the tunnel to cut a hole, and can't even reach it from under the car at all.

Nor can I get to the master cyl

thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

has anyone had this issue with an LT1 T56? my pedal stuck to the floor but not i am not able to press my clutch pedal down to the floor its that hard. feels identical to when my clutch fork was placed on the wrong side of my throwout bearing, the pedal was not even able to be pressed to the floor. I pulled my clutch fork out and realigned it again to make sure that was not broke, but am not sure if this is the same case as what everyone else is explaining in this sticky or if this is something else. help!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Staging Lane

I am having a bad problem with my pedal sticking to the floor at high rpms. I have a new master and a new slave. I just did the drill mod and it did not help. I have a new spec stage 3 and a new spec steel fly wheel. It seems to me that I am having a centrifugal problem. If I shift slow it does not happen.

I will have to buy a new clutch with a better pressure plate. Does anybody have a suggestion? One of course that will not have this problem. This spec was a waste of money.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

freakign awesome write up
Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

I have followed ever advice in this thread and my clutch still sticks the the floor. Did the drill mod replaced the master twice and replaced the slave twice thinking i had a bad one. Bleed the system the tradional way and with a mity vac to many times to count. I spent 4 hours the other night and ran 4 bottles of fluild thru it and still does the same thing. So i'm lost. And rams lost to, they told me right out that they just don't know!!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, great write-up !!! And I didn't even have to ask any questions since I am addressing this problem with my car right now.

Last edited by nifty97z; 09-24-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'm having the same issues too but have a newish LS7 clutch with the slave and master, did the drill mod, and bled it a couple times as well. I don't know what to think, maybe the new slave went bad already...it didn't stick after the new clutch install but started again a few thousand miles later. Any ideas?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Yeah I'm having the same issues too but have a newish LS7 clutch with the slave and master, did the drill mod, and bled it a couple times as well. I don't know what to think, maybe the new slave went bad already...it didn't stick after the new clutch install but started again a few thousand miles later. Any ideas?
Anybody have 2 cents to toss in?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 2000 WS6 a few days ago. If I shift slow and nice like "nifty97z" the clutch seems fine. Once I get a little agressive, not even red lining or anything, the clutch pedal starts to stick half way up and its harder to switch gears. If I pump the clutch 3 or five times after it starts to stick, the clutch pedal magically comes back to life. Because of this, it seems like it would be air in the lines. I don't see why the master of slave would not work and then work after pumping the clutch. I've talked to a number of different mechanics and I've been told its either the master cylinder, slave cylinder, or air in the lines. I'm taking my car to the pontiac dealership tomorrow at 8am to see what they can do, will let you all know what happens.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I just bought a 2000 WS6 a few days ago. If I shift slow and nice like "nifty97z" the clutch seems fine. Once I get a little agressive, not even red lining or anything, the clutch pedal starts to stick half way up and its harder to switch gears. If I pump the clutch 3 or five times after it starts to stick, the clutch pedal magically comes back to life. Because of this, it seems like it would be air in the lines. I don't see why the master of slave would not work and then work after pumping the clutch. I've talked to a number of different mechanics and I've been told its either the master cylinder, slave cylinder, or air in the lines. I'm taking my car to the pontiac dealership tomorrow at 8am to see what they can do, will let you all know what happens.
Yeah, that's basically what mine is doing too...let us know what they come up with, hope the dealership doesn't hit you too hard.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Yes, please let us know.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I took my car into its 8am appointment today. Its 11:30am, the master tech called me about an hour ago and said that he believes I just have have air in the lines. He is going to bleed the entire system and let me know what happens. He said he will call me early this afternoon when he is done, he is also replacing my rear diff. seal cause it is leakin a bit as do most 10 bolts but I wanted to change the fluid in the rear-end anyway. Its $184.40 for the bleed and $176 for the rear seal. I will post as soon as he calls me.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yay! Just picked up the car from the dealer. Clutch feels great. I drove it home and the pedal came back up everytime really well. I then went for a joy ride up a few on-ramps and took a curvey back road to my house where I could open it up and switch gears a lot. Pedal came back up everytime! Before I would have just shifted a few times aggressively and the clutch pedal would have been stickin half way up right away. I then went drivin around town through a bunch of stop lights just takin it easy. The clutch pedal did stick once but instead of having to put my foot under it to bring it back up or having to pump it I just tapped the top of the pedal with the bottom of my foot and it popped back up. After another 15 min of easy drivin and aggessive drivin, including red lining, the pedal never did it again. It was definitely worth the $184 to have the dealership do it. You don't have to worry that maybe you did it wrong of might have gotten air in the lines. I hope this can help someone!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well that gives me hope, lol; but I will be doing mine on my own
Old 09-06-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad that worked for you! My clutch pedal, after several months and several thousand miles of sticking all the time after a little WOT action, is now working perfectly and nothing was done to fix it! I had done the drill mod, changed the fluid, and bled it twice and none of that worked and now all of a sudden I can't get it to stick at all (even riding the brake at WOT at about 5K for a good 5 seconds it didn't even stick). Plus now the fluid is getting dirty, before it was clean and it stuck. Very weird if you ask me but glad it's fixed! (for now at least)

Quick Reply: Sticking clutch pedal write-up