Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

***ATTN: SPEC*** Pics of my Stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
You are right I dont see as many of those other clutches failing, part of that might be that the SPEC 3 is like the most popular clutch out there, so obviously there will be more failures. If you sell lots of a product you will have more failures.

Obviously you havent read much about all the broke TEX's yet, plus the LS6/LS7 clutchs dont break as easily since thery are stock organic pieces which are very forgiving. I wouldnt even consider them performance clutches.

All i can go by are the pics that are posted of these so called **** clutches and I also go by what people tell me when i pry into their install/prep of the clutch. Most of the time I find faults somewhere.

What shop installed your clutch?

Heres what Ranger (one of the more respected clutch guys) says of the LS7 clutch.

So i guess the LS7 isnt even a great clutch if you plan of drag racing.

I disagree with that statement. I've been running the LS7 in my TA which is close to 400hp for like 15k miles, slip it a lot, and have had it to the track a few times. It still runs like a champ.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by evilbadz
I disagree with that statement. I've been running the LS7 in my TA which is close to 400hp for like 15k miles, slip it a lot, and have had it to the track a few times. It still runs like a champ.
400HP isnt that much at all, I would hope the LS7 can take 400 considering the LS7 engine it comes with puts out around 460RWHP, lol. And of course you can slip it a lot for normal driving, its slipping it a lot at the track that glazes it badly.

My old stocker help up under 465HP at the track with street tires. What tires do you run at the track, what is your 60ft at the track also?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brad8266
400HP isnt that much at all, I would hope the LS7 can take 400 considering the LS7 engine it comes with puts out around 460RWHP, lol. And of course you can slip it a lot for normal driving, its slipping it a lot at the track that glazes it badly.

My old stocker help up under 465HP at the track with street tires. What tires do you run at the track, what is your 60ft at the track also?
555r's, and 1.7 was my best (but not on these).

My point anyway was it is fine for drag racing. Maybe not with 500rwhp, but certainly with 400 which is where most people are at or below.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evilbadz
He's right 400hp ain't much on that clutch and read above on the LS7s failing when launched to much.

When you bolt up a 150 shot you'll cook your clutch and be buying another in no time. When you do get a 3+ as it's not a puck and is a great evolution of the 3 picking up everywhere the 3 left off.

I'd go as far to say daily driving a puck clutch is asking for it to die as they don't respond to slipping well.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Launching!

I had a spec 3,sold it fast when I read of the problems....should have about 450-500 to the wheels on my GTO soon,will need a clutch....its between LS7,Spec 3+ or Tex Oz700
Old 07-12-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by speeddemongto
I had a spec 3,sold it fast when I read of the problems....should have about 450-500 to the wheels on my GTO soon,will need a clutch....its between LS7,Spec 3+ or Tex Oz700
I would say 3+ or Tex if you want to drag race often, I mean the LS7 is a nice clutch but if you plan on drag racing a lot it probably wont hold as well compared to the better compounds of the aftermarket clutches.

Quick Reply: ***ATTN: SPEC*** Pics of my Stage 3