Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

>>ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL OR BILLET STELL FLYWHEEL????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I'm sold. I'll add it to the list of things to do when I get the car on a lift. I'm too old to lay on my back on a cold garage floor to pull the trans.

Thanks for the response Teke, what I meant to say was that the cure for both a large cam and the light flywheel is to go with a larger gear ratio. I can understand if you were going to the track all the time, but Tim Tosto (or was it Todd) even said that they ran a light flywheel and they cut some damn good 60' times.

Again, I don't run at the strip, so it's not even a concern to me. If I need to feather the clutch a little more pulling away from a stop, that's no proplem.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can say there is a big cam in my engine, at least some consequent overlap...
You can see in the video below driven in town how a SPEC II ALUMINIUM FLYWHEEL is street friendly after a good tune.

http://www.youtube.com/v/PL7h3QvOUFs

BTW I am selling this assembly here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/855785-f-s-spec-ii-aluminium-flywheel.html

Christian
Old 03-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Will this flywheel fit with an ls7 clutch? Just wondering, haven't decided which way I want to go yet with the clutch and this may help me decide
Old 03-05-2008, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

If you use an stock LS7 clutch kit your will need a different flywheel than the unit built for the LS1/6 motor. There are a few folks that offer lightened flywheel for use with the LS7...but make sure you get the right parts. You can contact an of our dealers for assistance with this. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

spec aluminum fly wheel is a god send,people who say aluminum fly wheels are no good are the same people that once said the world is flat and that EFI doesn't make any real horsepower u gota have a carb for big power.i've used them in about 7 cars i've built,so that an't what i've heard thats what i know from use
Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone done any dyno comparisons with the fidanza over the stock flywheel?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tiffo60
Has anyone done any dyno comparisons with the fidanza over the stock flywheel?
Good question. I wish I could help you, but when I dyno my car next, I'll have gone from Macs with a crappy ypipe to QTP (regular collectors) with a Kooks ORY, an LS6 intake to a ported FAST 90/90, stock descreen maf to a 85mm maf, TSP lid to a 90mm Fast toys lid and from a mail order tune to a custom tune with a wideband. So in other words, not an accurate back to back dyno.

But I am curious to hear other's experiences. From what I've read, guys have gained right around 2mph in the quarter, which would suggest a 20hp gain. I guess the question is how much weight is lost from one clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combo to another setup with an aluminum flywheel. The factory flywheel is supposedly 26lbs, but my Mcleod was 28.8lbs, so for me, going with the Fidanza dropped 16.4lbs of weight off the crank. I'm hoping for a nice difference.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Good question. I wish I could help you, but when I dyno my car next, I'll have gone from Macs with a crappy ypipe to QTP (regular collectors) with a Kooks ORY, an LS6 intake to a ported FAST 90/90, stock descreen maf to a 85mm maf, TSP lid to a 90mm Fast toys lid and from a mail order tune to a custom tune with a wideband. So in other words, not an accurate back to back dyno.

But I am curious to hear other's experiences. From what I've read, guys have gained right around 2mph in the quarter, which would suggest a 20hp gain. I guess the question is how much weight is lost from one clutch/pressure plate/flywheel combo to another setup with an aluminum flywheel. The factory flywheel is supposedly 26lbs, but my Mcleod was 28.8lbs, so for me, going with the Fidanza dropped 16.4lbs of weight off the crank. I'm hoping for a nice difference.
well im ordering flywheel and clutch this week so if all else fails Ill post up my results

Quick Reply: >>ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL OR BILLET STELL FLYWHEEL????????