Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

>>ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL OR BILLET STELL FLYWHEEL????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default >>aluminum Flywheel Or Billet Steel Flywheel????????

hay guys i will be changing my clutch soon and just wanted to ask if i can be ok with buying the fodenza light wight flywheel? the car is lightly modded which will see some track time but mostly it will be used on the streets, and the clutch i am thinking of going with either is the stock setup again or spec 1 or 2 clutch or the centerforce dual friction. but i really want to buy the flywheel but i heard some bad things about the aluminum over the steel and i wanna know wat are the advantages and disadvantages. thanks guyys

Last edited by ae13291; 07-12-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of people well tell you the steel is better for drag racing, I LOVE my aluminum. yes to get the same torque out of the hole you have to rev a little higher (only really applies if dumping clutch on slicks dead hooking) but once you do that the car reves aALOT faster, and on the street the car just jump whn the touch the gas. makes big difference.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Steel better for the drag strip. Aluminum is better for Auto Cross. If you plan on more of the drag then I would go steel.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Banned

hummm i really want to get the aluminum, well my car pulls reallly hard in all gears but lik when i go WOT from 1st to 2nd its pulling hard but the rpm just isent flying by as fast as i expect it, but i dont know it could just be me probly lol thanks alot guys
Old 07-10-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

there is nothing wrong with a steel flywheel. But it does weigh a few more pounds.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

y not get a aluminum with steel insert. thats what im running and had it for 10,000 miles works great http://www.lmperformance.com/1904/1.html

Last edited by Disturbed Bird; 07-10-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned

what do u guys think of the fedenza aluminumk 12.5 pound flywheel thats the one i hav been thinking of now
Old 07-10-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ae13291
what do u guys think of the fedenza aluminumk 12.5 pound flywheel thats the one i hav been thinking of now

I have it and love it,Ill never go back with steel.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Get the aluminum flywheel even if you drag race. Old school thought is steel. The aluminum will rev faster, yes you will have to launch harder but it is more consistant.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

FWIW I was in the same boat. I decided to compromise and get the Billet Steel. I want to do a little of everything in my car. The RAM Billet is lighter than stock, but heavier than the Fidanza.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

"y not get a aluminum with steel insert."

um...what do you think the fidanza fw has?? aluminum isn't gonna take the abuse of the friction pucks of a clutch.

i have the fidanza 13lb flywheel on my cammed ls1...stage 4 clutch...

from a stop it takes some practice to not bog...but alot of that is from the solid clutch disc...which makes for VERY little slip

if you don't drag much...you'll enjoy the faster reving and increased rwhp from the light flywheel.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Teching In

If your going to run a aluminum flywheel on a street car,you have to check it once and a while. Extreme heat, like clutch slippage that dual friction clutches tend to love [they'll get more grippy with heat] will cause aluminum flywheels more than steel to crack & distort over time and possibly have catastrophic failure!Just what i've read.Do your own research or talk to a few reputable trany shops.scatter sheild is a good investment.I'm sticking to steel.

Last edited by zenith396; 07-11-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM
9 Second Club

Steel flywheels are better for driveablity due to the inerita (look at it this way it takes more power to get the flywheel moving if it's heavier and the same goes that it takes more to slow it down) so with that said if you run a alum. flywheel it will rev faster but it will also be easier to stall the motor which means that you have to give it more gas or slip the clutch more when starting from a stop.
With a stock drivetrain you can sit a stop sign or red light and when pulling out you don't have to hardly give the car any gas as you pull out thats due to the weight of the flywheel.
With an Alum. you will have to rev the motor more and keep it going which will increase the possiblity of premature clutch wear or burning it up all together.
Now I'm not saying that Alum. doesn't have its benifits they do but for what I gather from your thread, your looking for more driveablity. I don't see that much in performance loss for your applacantion.
Alum flywheels take a little bit of getting used to.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zenith396
If your going to run a aluminum flywheel on a street car,you have to check it once and a while. Extreme heat, like clutch slippage that dual friction clutches tend to love [they'll get more grippy with heat] will cause aluminum flywheels more than steel to crack & distort over time and possibly have catastrophic failure!Just what i've read.Do your own research or talk to a few reputable trany shops.scatter sheild is a good investment.I'm sticking to steel.
Thats not true. I daily drove a stage 4/al flywheel combo for 40k miles and when I took my flywheel out it looked just fine. Also the fidanza is SFI approved so the chances of a catastrophic failure are slim.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

wow so many different suggestions, i know i will get used to the driving of aluminum flywheel, but so now if i am not mistakeing the only benifit of steel is the launch!! right??
Old 02-10-2008, 04:36 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm doing this same decision process right now as well.

Oh yeah, bringing a post back from the dead, but again, that's what the search function is for.

I rarely ever see the track.... strike that, I never go to the track because that's where I break stuff, and that got old real quick.

Here's my take on the light flywheel issue. I'm getting the impression from searching and reading that it's like a huge cam in that it kills the low end, initial take off etc. The cure I think for both of these mods (cam and flywheel) is to go with larger gears. A set of 3.73 gears would help a cam just as well as help a lighter flywheel.

As it is, I've got to baby the car out of the hole because of street tires, 3.73s and the extra power. So if I need to take away from a stop at 1200 rpm rather than 1000 rpm, so be it.

Is the Fidanza the lightest flywheel at 12.5lbs? Are there any that are lighter?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I put a Fidanza alum flywheel along with a Spec lightweight stg 3 clutch on my '99 Z and loved it! It was just a bolt-on car w/4.10s but pulled so hard after the change over it was great. The car was just a fun street toy for the most part but launching at the dragstrip was fine (1.76 was my best I believe), just took some more RPM. I was going to resurface my stock flywheel but ended up getting a good deal on the Fidanza and IMO it was the better decision.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the centerforce dual friction with the billet steel flywheel and i am happy with it. It was a pain getting it up to the motor while laying on my back but as far as drivability it pretty good. Ive never used an aluminum so cant say if its better or not.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

"it's like a huge cam in that it kills the low end, initial take off etc. The cure I think for both of these mods (cam and flywheel) is to go with larger gears. A set of 3.73 gears would help a cam just as well as help a lighter flywheel."

well...kindda.

the light flywheel doesn't "hurt" your low end. it affects how the the initial clutch engagement/launch acts. once the clutch is engaged (no longer slipping) the light flywheel is ONLY a benefit.

its not like a big cam that only runs good in high rpms, which is why gears are a benefit...they get you in the upper rpms faster.

and basically its as simple as reving 200-300 more rpms to pull out from a stop than with a stock/steel flywheel. sometimes i'll get a little more shudder and bog down from a light...but its not a big deal.

i believe the fidanza is the lightest. not sure you'd want to go any lighter. its already more than 1/2 that of the stocker.

i pulled my clutch out after 5000+ miles of street driving on a Stage 4 clutch. the flywheel looked good and the clutch only lost .03" of material, out of an expected clutch life loss of over .30" i think.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

12.5 lb aluminum fidanza here, and if you like to snap your freinds necks at a high rpm, get it! When I made the switch I was skeptical, but I love it. My car revs so much faster, when Im in 1st or 2nd or even 3rd, I tap the gas, and the passenger is helpless in keeping their heads from hitting the back of the seat, haha lol!

Quick Reply: >>ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL OR BILLET STELL FLYWHEEL????????