Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Symptoms of a broken spring? and also an odd noise under the car..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Symptoms of a broken spring? and also an odd noise under the car..

What are the symptoms of a broken spring? or even a broken flywheel bolt? I'm at the end of my break in period with a Spec 3, and have started giving it some good throttle (up to 75-80%) and today, in first, I gave it a good goosing up to about 5k, and about the the time the tires squealed a bit (full throttle would have blown them off), I heard this "ting" noise come from under the nose.. almost a bit like audible detonation (I know it wasn't) or coins hitting the ground. Shifting is still fine, clutch grabs fine.

When I got home, I stuck my head under the car just to see if I saw anything unusual (couldn't see much) and I heard what almost sounded like a rod knock, but there was no rhythm to it, and sometimes didn't happen at all.. it sounded like it was the clutch area.. but this is my first non-stock clutch and it kinda sounded like the clutch was tapping the flywheel as it went around (car was in neutral but running). Do they just make noise where a stocker doesn't?

I'm not really freaked out about anything, but the tires barking a bit leaving every stop light/sign draws a lot of looks.. I'm just slowly giving it harder and harder shifts before it goes on the dyno. Or SHOULD I be freaked out about soemthing?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Banned

any opinions?

Old 07-18-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So hard to tell on something like this...it could be anything. You could have driven over a silver dollar in the road! The ticking you hear could just be the injectors, or the valvesprings, or just something banging around. No rhythm suggests that it isn't rotational...but it's really hard to say.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
So hard to tell on something like this...it could be anything. You could have driven over a silver dollar in the road! The ticking you hear could just be the injectors, or the valvesprings, or just something banging around. No rhythm suggests that it isn't rotational...but it's really hard to say.
Well, I found out that one of the header collectors had come loose from the y-pipe (slip on design).. I tightened it up, but must have moved the exhaust alignment a bit, and the cam shaking the motor was making the pipe bump the floorboard. The "ting" sound I heard on the road must have been coincidence and unrelated.

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a broken spring? and also an odd noise under the car..