Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is There a High Temperature Clutch Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 10:29 AM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is There a High Temperature Clutch Fluid?

I have been following the board and have been reading about people's problems with the clutch hydralics and my car has been giving me trouble as well. Looks like the problem has to do with the fluid boiling. Has anyone tried using different fluid in the hydraulics?

I think there is a brake fluid used in racing that resists high temperature boiling. Maybe something like this would help.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-12-2002, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is There a High Temperature Clutch Fluid?

YES! There are several high-temp brake fluids that you can run in your clutch lines.

I use Valvoline Syntec DOT 3/4 in my daily drivers, as well as my race cars. I use it because it has an EXTREMELY high WET boiling point. The WET boiling point is more important than the dry boiling point unless you change your fluid every weekend. Feel free to compare other brake fluids against it. And if you find another brake fluid that has a higher wet boiling point, then compare the price.

The only disadvantage i've had with the Valvoline is that it seems to be hard on old rubber lines, especially in older cars.

Remember, you can't use dot 5, but you CAN run dot 5.1. i don't have any experience with the new dot 5.1, so i can't give any recommendations.

Hope this helps!
-Brad

Quick Reply: Is There a High Temperature Clutch Fluid?