Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny Stuck in 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny Stuck in 3rd

Ok well i decided to get on it last night, I took off in second and went to slam 3rd (not powershifting), i hit 3rd at about 5700rpms and it went in gear but just revved like I had missed it. Then I let off and push in the clutch and then I cant get it out of gear, it's just stuck. It takes 3 or 4 good jerks to get it out. It drove fine the rest of the night, I haven't got on it since. Anyone know what the cause might be or experienced this? I tried a search but couldn't find this specific problem. My car has 77k miles and the stock clutch, and i changed to castrol dexron 3 when I installed the headers a few weeks ago. This is my first tranny problem of any kind. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TLUZLS1; 07-21-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:48 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You've hammered your 3-4 synchro keys and will need to disassemble the trans. to fix it.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
You've hammered your 3-4 synchro keys and will need to disassemble the trans. to fix it.
Right on.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So no more fast 2-3 or 3-4 shifts? Can I still drive it normal around town? I thought these T-56's were a little more bulletproof...
Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else have any input as to what exactly i need to do? Im in no situation financially to rebuild the tranny so what should I do. And btw the transmission has been fine ever since.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem happen this weekend with fourth gear, is this something that has to be taken care of asap or something I can just take it easy on? Also, what can be done to prevent it from happening in the future?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

To prevent it in the future, rebuild it with stronger parts (I believe the name of one place to get them is B&B Performance, or something like that, but there are a few), but remember: NOTHING is bulletproof...

Both my older brother and I have had to rebuild (both 02 Z28s) because of broken synchros - mine started popping out of third and then got locked in fourth on a hard shift, never came out until we pulled it apart (55,000 miles). My brothers tranny went after 10,000 miles on the car, so they definitely aren't bulletproof. He powershifts his a lot, I don't.

In terms of driving it around, my younger brother lost third and fourth in his 85 Trans Am and still drove around for like 6 months with just first, second, and fifth without any problems. When he shifted into third and fourth, it just revved like it was in neutral. I would say drive it around if you can't help yourself, but keep in mind that it can only get worse (it IS broken, after all) and there is always the chance that you will get stranded somewhere if it gets locked up for good or your gears start to not engage.

The reason it gets locked up is because the little synchros (tiny little metal pieces probably about 1/2" x 1/8" or so) get wedged into the gear teeth and other internal tranny parts and prevent them from moving or sliding in and out of each gear, depending on where they end up.

Good luck, and get it rebuilt with stronger parts when you get the money.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Teching In

If it was the synchro keys wouldn't the tranny be in gear? He said it kept revving like he missed the gear.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Internet Mechanic

Its broke, end of story, get it fixed.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

I will most definitely get it fixed, it is already coming out of the car and it will come apart this weekend, I was hoping that someone could give a little more advice as to what part may have actually caused the failure and the replacement parts that will be required so it doesn't happen again. The car only has 28k miles and although it was a quick shift when it happened it was not violent. If anyone has any further information on replacement parts and or repair procedures it would be extremely helpful. Thanks in Advance!!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Internet Mechanic

PewterScreaminMach gave you the best description, both of you had more or less the same situation. I had helped with his rebuild
Old 07-23-2007, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Same Thing happened to my buddy, and he had to get a fresh rebuild. Good thing he was under warranty. Btw ever since I got my PRO 5.0 it has prevented further damage to my tranny aswell.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI....I just rebuilt a T56 that the 3/4 keys were broke in. The owner kept driving the car untill he couldnt drive it anymore. Him driving the car turned a simple fix into trashing everything in the trans except for 1st gear. That rebuild cost him over $2K where it should have been around $400.00
Old 07-23-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks guys. This gives me a better idea of what im facing. I guess ill just have to breakdown and fix it. Ok so 3-4 billet slider keys, 3-4 steel shift fork, and new syncros should just about cover it?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is possible to shift between gates when going for 3rd. The rail gets stuck between 1st and 3rd and the stick moves forward but it gets no gear. This is most likely what happened to you since you said it acted like it was in neutral. Some people seem to be able to get that zone more often than others.It boils down to shifting style. You can improve the condition by getting an aftermarket shifter that has a high centering load. This will better direct you to 3rd from 2nd and avoid that between zone. You don't need to tear into the trans because there is nothing to fix.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calhoon
It is possible to shift between gates when going for 3rd. The rail gets stuck between 1st and 3rd and the stick moves forward but it gets no gear. This is most likely what happened to you since you said it acted like it was in neutral. Some people seem to be able to get that zone more often than others.It boils down to shifting style. You can improve the condition by getting an aftermarket shifter that has a high centering load. This will better direct you to 3rd from 2nd and avoid that between zone. You don't need to tear into the trans because there is nothing to fix.
I really hope you are right, but what made it get stuck? I was still pretty skeptical of broken parts since it just revved and didn't go anywhere. At the time I thought I had lost that gear, but it drives perfect around town. I have missed 3rd before and it just rebounded and revved, its never gotten stuck before.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calhoon

This is what I was told after I did the same thing and came here asking what happened. Most of my replies what that it got stuck in between gates. It scared me b/c I had to take both hands and yank down on it to get unstuck. I did this about a year ago. Today still working just great. Hasn't happened again and I've had tons of hard 2-3 shifts.

If you said it was still shifting fine then I'd say it's okay. No need to rebuild. Now if was grinding then yes, you need to fix it asap. Go out and run through the gears again. I'd guess it will shift just fine.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
This is what I was told after I did the same thing and came here asking what happened. Most of my replies what that it got stuck in between gates. It scared me b/c I had to take both hands and yank down on it to get unstuck. I did this about a year ago. Today still working just great. Hasn't happened again and I've had tons of hard 2-3 shifts.

If you said it was still shifting fine then I'd say it's okay. No need to rebuild. Now if was grinding then yes, you need to fix it asap. Go out and run through the gears again. I'd guess it will shift just fine.
Ok thanks man, this is a big relief. Its still shifting just fine so Ill give it a shot and run it through the gears on the way home from work today.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, I wish that had been my problem. Good luck, hope that takes care of it for you!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok well I ran through 1st 2nd and 3rd and it did ok. I think my tranny is fine. Thanks guys for your help.

Pewterscreaminmach, hope you get everything goes well for you, good luck to you as well!

I took a video just incase it happened again it would be on film. I had to use my phone and it was really hard to hold, sorry it's upside down, it was the only way lol. I couldnt even see the tach but I got lucky. Slow shifts ftl...

Quick Reply: Tranny Stuck in 3rd