Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help/Opinion on tranmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help/Opinion on tranmission problem

I have a 99 LS1/T56 swapped into my 88 iroc, motor has heads/cam and full bolt ons, the transmission as well as the motor has 24k miles, i put a Spec 3+, steel flywheel and PP, 2001 slave cyliner. For some reason when going thru the gears is feels like the shifter hits a stop, then clicks into gear. this is with every gear, doesnt matter where in the powerband, its felt liek this since day one. I thought maybe the hydraulics weren't bled enough so i drained it, bled it very very good absolutly sure there is no air in it, i changed the tranny fluid and put in some gm syncromesh, still no difference, i have the spacer that comes with the spec clutchs behind the slave. Nothing i've tried seems to work, im thinking the only thing it can be is something internally is messed up but i wnated to post hoping somebody might know somehting more that i dont or i've overlooked.

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated! If i cant come up with anything else i guess i'm going to have to pull the tranny and take it in for somebody to look at i'm out of ideas.

thanks again, Mike
Old 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
wrencher

How does it feel dry shifting it with the engine off the same?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

It feels much better dryshifting, no hangup at all. I've driven alot of 6spds and never felt anything like this, i'm stumped.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:21 AM
wrencher

You have hydraulic issues then.
What master cylinder you running in it?
Is it adjustable?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

no its just a stock one that i got with the transmission, i drained the fluid and replaced it with new stuff, bled a half a bottle of fluid thru it just to be sure it was bled good. When i dry shift it it doesn not have the stop or hangup like when driving but something about it still feels on the stiff side, like i said all the other cars i've driven have not felt like this.

I see what your getting at with the hydraulics, although i dont understand how it could be. When i first installed the clutch i did not put in the spacer provided by spec, first test drive the clutch was not fully disengaging, and it was engaging right off the floor, simple fix, installed the spacer. now like i said this problem with the stiff shifting. After the install of the spacer the engagment still seemed low but does seem to be comming up as i put miles on. I have an incling that its internal but i am open to other suggestions, if it was a hydraulic problem why would it do cause my shifting to act like this? It is not prohibiting me from driving the car but i defiantely cant shift fast by any means because of the stop/ then fall into gear thing.

thanks again, mike
Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 PM
wrencher

If it is froma LSx F-body donor car , you might also need to do the drill mod. Search it out in the manual trans FAQ sticky at the top of this section.

But a poorly releasing clutch will give you this notchy sensation during shifts.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

now when u say that do you mean a poorly releasing clutch or a not fully disengagings clutch? or both the same? And do u still feel its poor hydraulics? Do the hydraulics go bad?

I had it out cruising again tonight, the car is unbelievable, i love it, tranny still notchy, the pedal is definately lifting off the floor which shows me the clutch is breaking in. I will look into the drill mod, it would be awesome if that solved my problem. I'd rather try anything i can other than pulling the tranny out again, but i guess i have to do what i have to do.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

mine shifts the same way. my didn't start shifting like that until my re-build i installed carbon blocker rings, billet sliders, broonze pads etc.... i haven't had any more problems with the tranny it. i'm used to it now. i have driven some vettes that shifts the same way.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if you know that hydraulics are ok and clutch is dis-engaging properly i wouldn't worry about it