Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is shifting into neutral and using breaks bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plainred02Z: I sent you a PM
Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
it has ZERO effect on the throwout bearing, since you're leaving it in gear (NOT riding the pedal)
Yes, using engine braking has zero effect on the throwout bearing or pilot bearing...but check my post again, I said how sitting stopped at a red light in a lot of states they require you to be in gear...this means you are holding the clutch pedal on the floor with the shifter in first and your right foot on the brakes holding the car from rolling. A LOT of people have said to me "you're going to kill your throwout bearing"...I have yet (3 T56 cars, 200K miles total) to wear one out (or a pilot bearing as thats when it's doing a lot of rotating as well)...granted sometimes we all get tired of holding the car like that at a long red light on flat pavement and then we all put the car in neutral and just let it idle without our feet doing anything...but whenever I do what I'm suppossed to, I'm the first person to leave the intersection when the light turns green.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
a lot of states they require you to be in gear...this means you are holding the clutch pedal on the floor with the shifter in first and your right foot on the brakes holding the car from rolling.
That makes NO sense at all. They require you to keep your foot on the brake. Being in gear with the clutch in won't do a damn thing in an accident except slam you into the car in front of you if you let go of the clutch. I suppose you could perhaps pull forward out of the way of a non-stopping car quicker with your foot on the clutch and it in gear already, but if you're 1. paying attention to what's coming behind you, 2. not the first car in line or 3. going to die by pulling in front of a semi if you dart out of the way, it's a moot point anyway. That sounds like a misinterpeted law to me. Now keeping your foot on the brake (to stop rolling forward and keep your brake lights lit) makes sense.

Let's see an example of this "law".
Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
That makes NO sense at all. They require you to keep your foot on the brake. Being in gear with the clutch in won't do a damn thing in an accident except slam you into the car in front of you if you let go of the clutch. I suppose you could perhaps pull forward out of the way of a non-stopping car quicker with your foot on the clutch and it in gear already, but if you're 1. paying attention to what's coming behind you, 2. not the first car in line or 3. going to die by pulling in front of a semi if you dart out of the way, it's a moot point anyway. That sounds like a misinterpeted law to me. Now keeping your foot on the brake (to stop rolling forward and keep your brake lights lit) makes sense.

Let's see an example of this "law".
he does have it wrong.

most state laws say you need to be in gear WHILE IN MOTION...

most of them also say you need your foot on the brake while stopped... for exactly the domino effect accidents you described.

the ingear while in motion laws are there to stop people from riding their brakes downhill, and having them overheat/fail.

Quick Reply: Is shifting into neutral and using breaks bad?