Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: which clutch to buy ?
GM LS7 Clutch
61.90%
Spec Clutches
36.51%
stock clutche
1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Spec vs GM LS7 Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
17lbs of extra rotating mass... not good for my road racing car..
thats the reason the ls7 motor uses it because not only because of the holding capability, but also because it needs that inertia for good drivability because its has a lot lighter rotating assembly (ie. titanium rods)
Old 08-18-2007, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious why so many people put in LS7 clutch in their cars? my LS7 slipped all the time when it heated up with bolt-ons only. now with h/c, there's no way that clutch would hold up
Old 08-20-2007, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHINER
BYUNSPEED has the whole kit including the LS2 flywheel for 435 SHIPPED...im sorry, but you can NOT beat that.

My SPEC Stage 3 was just pulled, and had nothing but heat marks all over the bitch, and i do not ride the clutch or anything. I do not see me buying another SPEC, plus I wanted the LS7 because of its stock feeling solid disk design. The SPEC clutches that are "starred" in shape are notchy and un comfortable before you start getting use to them. The only good things to say though about SPEC is even though it was in very rough condition after low miles it still held up to some abuse from time to time and they were easy to engage the clutch with.

Here are some pics of the Spec Stage 3 that was just taken out:
That is a spec 4 not a 3. The 4 is unsprung. Not the 3. Since the 4 is unsprung, it doesn't take slipping very well. The one to look at is the 3 + ( 3Plus). It will hold more than the 4 and is rated to 850 ft lbs.

Last edited by StevieZ; 08-20-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:03 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I bought the LS7 then sold it due to changing my mind at the last minute and picked up a Spec 3+. I have searched and found both good and bad about every type of clutch you can buy, I guess its really just hit or miss. The LS7 is a cheap alternative if you cant afford a better clutch set up.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Spec 3 in a 3800lb GTO and find it works well. No chatter, good grab. 500hp at the flywheel.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

To begin, we offer 7 single disc stages for LS cars. Stage 3 and 4 are the only "star" shaped units that we provide, all others are full face or hybrid units. These options allow us to meet the needs of any customer from those with basic bolt on's to those with big-time power.

Shiner, the pictures you provide evidence the actual cause of your slippage--it looks as though you used a non-resurfaced (no flat) stock flywheel when the kit was installed. This is indicated by the lack of machine marks on the flywheel and the wear pattern that is seen both on the flywheel, disc and subsequently the plate. If you would like to have me further diagnose this unit I will be happy to have you send it in to us for assessment.

As for the Ls7 kits that so many reference, remember that these units offer little to no increase in capacity over the stock LS1 assembly. Yes, they are bigger in diameter, but they still utilize a stock organic disc and an SAC plate. I have written a lot about SAC (Self-Adjusting-Covers) pressure-plates in the past but to summize my statements they are inherently more prone to issues and will provide less consistency in term of use.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
To begin, we offer 7 single disc stages for LS cars. Stage 3 and 4 are the only "star" shaped units that we provide, all others are full face or hybrid units. These options allow us to meet the needs of any customer from those with basic bolt on's to those with big-time power.

Shiner, the pictures you provide evidence the actual cause of your slippage--it looks as though you used a non-resurfaced (no flat) stock flywheel when the kit was installed. This is indicated by the lack of machine marks on the flywheel and the wear pattern that is seen both on the flywheel, disc and subsequently the plate. If you would like to have me further diagnose this unit I will be happy to have you send it in to us for assessment.

As for the Ls7 kits that so many reference, remember that these units offer little to no increase in capacity over the stock LS1 assembly. Yes, they are bigger in diameter, but they still utilize a stock organic disc and an SAC plate. I have written a lot about SAC (Self-Adjusting-Covers) pressure-plates in the past but to summize my statements they are inherently more prone to issues and will provide less consistency in term of use.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!!

Exactly, most of the time people have issues with these clutches because of what they didn't do. Like resurfacing the flywheel or replacing hydraulics or abusing the clutch before the break-in period is up. I stand behind your clutches man and I will keep using them.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
FormerVendor

Greatly appreciated Kong. It is always nice to hear from satisfied customers!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

You have VERY good eyes, lol.

yes, i know i took a short cut(which i know was not the brightest idea) and did not resurface the flywheel. Instead i sanded it down by hand and used some brake kleen on it.

I was pressed for time, and infact the clutch was used i picked up for a 100 bucks shipped. So I didnt really lose anything over the little "experiment". But it did hold up most of the time.

Good catch
Old 08-21-2007, 11:25 AM
FormerVendor

Default Yeah...that makes sense!

Ok, so you used a stock unsurfaced flywheel and installed a used clutch yet you still seem to have some ill-will towards us for your trouble. You caused the problems on your own. Perhaps telling the whole story next time would be prudent. You have got to be kidding me...

Perhaps editing your initial post is warranted. I am sure that those that have read this would appreciate your honesty. Just a thought...
Old 08-23-2007, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

i dont know about others but i have had nothing but problems with my spec clutch
Old 08-23-2007, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Well my 1st spec lasted more than 15K hard miles until the day I redline shifted from 3rd to 6th. My 2nd one was a Stage 4 and was fine until the slave seal let go and pissed dot 3 all over the clutch. I just installed the 3rd which is a stage 3+ and judging
by my initial impression, it is going to last for quite a while. A couple years back, people on this board were dissing Ram clutches the way they are dissing Spec today. It has been my experience that if the install is done properly and the clutch is broken in, (That's the tough part) Spec clutches are the best bang for the buck.

Last edited by StevieZ; 08-23-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SHINER
You have VERY good eyes, lol.

yes, i know i took a short cut(which i know was not the brightest idea) and did not resurface the flywheel. Instead i sanded it down by hand and used some brake kleen on it.

I was pressed for time, and infact the clutch was used i picked up for a 100 bucks shipped. So I didnt really lose anything over the little "experiment". But it did hold up most of the time.

Good catch
You shouldn't have posted in the 1st place.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok, so you used a stock unsurfaced flywheel and installed a used clutch yet you still seem to have some ill-will towards us for your trouble. You caused the problems on your own. Perhaps telling the whole story next time would be prudent. You have got to be kidding me...

Perhaps editing your initial post is warranted. I am sure that those that have read this would appreciate your honesty. Just a thought...
I was simply complementing your eye sight. What you suggest to me over the internet is of no value to me. If i wanted to put the used clutch on a unsurfaced flywheel cause i had no other choice at the time, than thats my problem and not yours. My flywheel had no burrs or devastating grooves in it at the time, which makes me ponder why chunks and flakes were missing off my spec Stage 3.

What I think of Spec clutches is my opinion, and im sure others have their thoughts as well.

No need to tell me what I NEED to think about YOUR product.

.....got to be kidding me.

Thanks and have a pleasant day.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

SPEC,

Another in the vast sea of very happy customers that greatly outnumber those who are dissatisfied. Sorry that the complainers are much more vocal, but that's the nature of the Internet. I have your 3+ and love it to death. Never even chattered from day 1! 20K on it and it still holds like brand new.

Thanks for making the best street/strip clutches on the market by great and wide margin.

Quick Reply: Spec vs GM LS7 Clutch