Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Attn: Trans experts and assemblers

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Attn: Trans experts and assemblers

I have a 2004 GTO T56. I removed the extension housing to reseal the cases together. While I had the caes off, I realized the case was cracked near the fill plug, from someone overtightening it. I removed everything from the rear housing did a weld repair on the case. During disassembly, I should have paid more attention, but I can't recall the orientation of this gear.

Does this gear go on this direction, or should I flip it over. The only difference appears to be a groove on one side and not the other. The left circle in this picture shows the groove, and the right circle shows no groove. Is this orientation correct, so should I flip it over?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 08-23-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although the part has an ID groove at one end, It can be installed either way with good results.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

What is the proper way to install it. Its apart, so I'd like to put it together the way it shoudl be. I didn't notice an ID groove, I'll check that when I get home.

As positioned in the picture, would the ID groove be on the right or left? Is the ID groove on the same side as the OD groove?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sorry ,I think I confused you. The groove you have found is use to identify that model reverse idler, as there are at least 3 versions. There is no groove on the inside.You can install that gear either way on the idler shaft. As pictured will work fine.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, be careful re-torquing those 3 bolts. It is quite easy to overtorque and strip the threads. If you need a manual you can down load a PDF of it from Tremec, its free.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Ahhhhhhh, ID groove = Identification groove, not inside diameter groove. LOL. Thanks!

Another question while I have your attention. Can I bolt a F-body shifter plate to my trans instead of the GTO plate that relocates the shifter rearward. The trans is not in a GTO, so I dont' really need that particular plate. I have read that you cannot, but I was wanting to see why, and if I could change anything to make it compatible.

Edit: I have the manual, thanks. I assume torquing to spec won't strip the threads, with your experience do you agree?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Torqued to spec will have no problem, its easy to exceed that and damage them if you are not using a torque wrench. The GTO shifter bolts onto the Fcar casting bolt pattern. What is different is the offset lever. The part with the plastic socket that the sphere-finger of the shifter rests in. That offset lever is pinned to the shift rail. Not a really hard swap but not super easy either. You have to match the shifter with the offest lever to get them to work.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Sounds easy enough, all that holds the offset lever on is a rolled pin. Thanks for the information.