Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Vibration at tailshaft. Need Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rubber dampener on the front yolk went bad some how, see how the slip yolk does not move but you can see that the rubber does
Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Whats the update on this, im seeing a similar issue. BADSZ28 Can you take a picture of the bushing?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thesource
Sometimes they are hard to pull off . I have a tool that removes the bushing from the tailhousing while its still on the transmission which is nice to have .
What, where can i get a tool like this?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

My car has a similar problem. In 5th gear between 35 and 47 it vibrates. It gets progressively worse the more throttle you give it through said speed.

It strikes me funny because it ONLY happens while in 5th gear and between those speeds.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiplashDVD
Whats the update on this, im seeing a similar issue. BADSZ28 Can you take a picture of the bushing?
I had the shaft looked at. Needed new slip yoke and front U-joint and had it ballanced. Looked at the bushing and it looked shot, also had some play that seamed like too much in the bushing so I had it replaced. Still assembling the car. I want to double check the length of my driveshaft once all together (stock length). I moved the rear back some with my adjustable LCAs and may be too short now. I will finish assembly over the weekend and check length and axle shaft hubs and post up results. I am missing a great track weekend due to this thing. I have a newborn and it is difficult to find time to work on the car between work, her and the typical life distractions that are necessary.

NOTE: I did take it for a ride after the shaft was ballanced and rebuilt and had the same vibration. This was before the new bushing. So I am guessing the bushing just held the patern.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

well keep me updated. I had a similar issue with my new dennys NR driveshaft. It was too long after my 12 bolt and relocation brackets. I have this weird vibration, grinding, whining sound on deceleration, only above 50 mph. If i grab the yoke it does have some play and i wonder if its the same thing. Hope it works out.
BTW i bought adjustable LCA's from SJM. He made me a custom set. When cranked all the way in they are factory length. This resolved my issues with the driveshaft length and centering in the wheel wells.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Question well have you changed the bushing yet?

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
I had the shaft looked at. Needed new slip yoke and front U-joint and had it ballanced. Looked at the bushing and it looked shot, also had some play that seamed like too much in the bushing so I had it replaced. Still assembling the car. I want to double check the length of my driveshaft once all together (stock length). I moved the rear back some with my adjustable LCAs and may be too short now. I will finish assembly over the weekend and check length and axle shaft hubs and post up results. I am missing a great track weekend due to this thing. I have a newborn and it is difficult to find time to work on the car between work, her and the typical life distractions that are necessary.

NOTE: I did take it for a ride after the shaft was ballanced and rebuilt and had the same vibration. This was before the new bushing. So I am guessing the bushing just held the patern.
whats the update brother, i got the same problem and reading your thread is like a dejavue, this vibration has been driving me crazy for over a year
Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

OK...Just got it back together today. Had some hickups including the car nearly rolling me over putting me out of my miserry. Well, it obviously missed thanks to quick feet. Yes I had it chucked, rolled over it; yes the brake was on, the lcas were loose so was the brake bracket; yes it was in gear, but the shaft was out.

Anyhow, I went to put the shaft back in and the slip yoke still had some play. So I shortenned the LCAs to see what that would do and the play went away. Took it for a ride and the vibration seams gone. Need to drive it more and get it on the highway to be sure.

All in all, I feel I should either keep the LCAs short or get a longer shaft. So I think it was more of a, slip yoke not extending into the trans enough issue, than anything. Not that it did not hold enough splines, but rather, the slip yoke not having enough contact with the trans output bushing.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Hey... Be carefull out there.

Glad you got it fixxed, (I hope), and are not going to sell it...
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

No kidding i often wonder if it would be better if the car rolled on me
Mine is just the opposite. i used a set of LCA's to move the rear out, the driveshaft fits better and the nasty vibes are less. Now i have some nasty wheel hop.

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
OK...Just got it back together today. Had some hickups including the car nearly rolling me over putting me out of my miserry. Well, it obviously missed thanks to quick feet. Yes I had it chucked, rolled over it; yes the brake was on, the lcas were loose so was the brake bracket; yes it was in gear, but the shaft was out.

Anyhow, I went to put the shaft back in and the slip yoke still had some play. So I shortenned the LCAs to see what that would do and the play went away. Took it for a ride and the vibration seams gone. Need to drive it more and get it on the highway to be sure.

All in all, I feel I should either keep the LCAs short or get a longer shaft. So I think it was more of a, slip yoke not extending into the trans enough issue, than anything. Not that it did not hold enough splines, but rather, the slip yoke not having enough contact with the trans output bushing.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Well, still vibrates. I will double check the shaft length sometime and see if it is that. I am done for the season though.

Quick Reply: Vibration at tailshaft. Need Help please.