Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trying to bleed the master cylinder hydraulic system...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trying to bleed the master cylinder hydraulic system...

i was following install university, until i got to this part.

"Underneath the car you will need a 1/4" drive 7/16" socket and a small 1/4" drive breaker to open up the bleeder valve for a few seconds. The bleeder valve is located about 2.5 inches or so above the quick connect fitting; you won't be able to see it with your eyes just feel for it. "

i think i felt the bleeder valve, but like it says, i cannot see what tools i need to open it up.

anyone have any pics of what this looks like? or what tools i need.i know it says socket and drive, but i'm not familiar with those terms.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you're working on your car and you don't know what a socket is?....1/4 drive is referring to the ratchet.

You need a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 7/16 socket on it.

ratchet (1/4" drive, the small one)

and a 7/16 socket like this on it

have someone in the car, they will completely press the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it. You will loosen the bleeder, you'll know it when it happens because it'll spit a lil fluid out, and the person in the car will know because the pedal will lose its pressure and sink to the floor. Wait a second or two to make sure its bled good, then tighten it back up,THEN let the person in the vehicle release the pedal. NEVER allow them to take the pedal off the floor while you have the bleeder open. Repeat this quite a few times, until you're getting out all fluid and no air.

Also, make sure and watch your reservoir under the hood, and keep it full while you do this. If you drain it dry, then you have to start all over again.

-Will
Old 11-22-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info

i know what a socket is, i just wasn't sure because of the way it felt on my finger. felt like an allen wrench, or a hex fitting should fit inside the pit that i felt, and not over and around it like a socket does. i just couldn't see it.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Launching!

ive been fighten with my mccloed master cylinder all day.i had to cut my adj. master from futral out.i put the new one in.i bought a mity vac and couldnt use it.started bleeding it manually and the resivoir hose started leaking,so i had to pull it back out.....looks like i need another hose.

projects like this one really suck.something so simple,but everything going wrong.

and the metal bracket where the bolts come threw.i bent it up and its making things worst.

sorry i had to vent.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:22 PM
11 Second Club

yeah, its actually gonna fit around it....think of a fitting where you bleed your brakes

-Will
Old 11-22-2007, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by weaponZ
ive been fighten with my mccloed master cylinder all day.i had to cut my adj. master from futral out.i put the new one in.i bought a mity vac and couldnt use it.started bleeding it manually and the resivoir hose started leaking,so i had to pull it back out.....looks like i need another hose.

projects like this one really suck.something so simple,but everything going wrong.

and the metal bracket where the bolts come threw.i bent it up and its making things worst.

sorry i had to vent.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of people don't adjust the master all the way back in before they bleed it. On mine, I had the best luck adjusting the master all the way in, then hooking it back up, bleeding everything, then adjusting it to where you want it...

-Will
Old 11-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Launching!

back meaning toward the floor or pedal?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, i tried bleeding it myself 3 times (nobody here to help me). opened up the bleeder, pressed clutch in and used something to hodl it down. closed the bleeder, then raised the clutch pedal. i did this 3 times. fluid was coming out, but i didn't see the reservoir level go any lower.

pedal still feels very loose.

this is what happened when i looked under the hood when it died. the braided line came off and the pin was pushed down. i reconnected it and pushed the pin back in before i tried bleeding it.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TARZAN

have someone in the car, they will completely press the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it. You will loosen the bleeder, you'll know it when it happens because it'll spit a lil fluid out, and the person in the car will know because the pedal will lose its pressure and sink to the floor. Wait a second or two to make sure its bled good, then tighten it back up,THEN let the person in the vehicle release the pedal. NEVER allow them to take the pedal off the floor while you have the bleeder open. Repeat this quite a few times, until you're getting out all fluid and no air.

Also, make sure and watch your reservoir under the hood, and keep it full while you do this. If you drain it dry, then you have to start all over again.

-Will
Actually, some of this is bad information.

The correct way to bleed the clutch is to open the bleeder valve, have someone push the clutch in, close the bleeder valve, release clutch.

But you are right about keeping an eye on that reservoir so it doesnt suck air in.