UMI
19.59%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

What Short Stick?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted for Lou's Short Stick...my friend has it in his H/C WS6, and it's simply amazing...he's got it with the Hurst Pistol grip...my 1-2 shift is insanely fast with it...I'm getting it for my car...
Old 12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Stock stick like Cartek Alex says, if you know how to shift, you don't need a short stick, just a pro5.0 shifter or something and you're good.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:28 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by 98camaroLS1M6
Stock stick like Cartek Alex says, if you know how to shift, you don't need a short stick, just a pro5.0 shifter or something and you're good.
LOL

CARTEK Alex...

Old 12-14-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
LOL

CARTEK Alex...

lol That's what the local Atco and Englishtown guys refer to you as, isn't it???! So you are getting that t56 rebuilt too?(by sixspeedinc).
Old 12-15-2007, 02:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the WS6 stick. Never had a problem with hitting the console like some people have, shifts crisper (hard to find 3rd with stock rubber shifter)
Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Lous Short Stick..
Old 01-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Launching!

I have the stock Hurst, and today I took out that garbage stock stick with the rubber isolators (unfortunately my shift **** is permanently attached to the stick, but more on that later) and put on a UMI short stick with a Hurst pistol grip. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! YES, I've only had it for a day and usually I would wait for a month or so before posting a review of something, but you will notice it immediately! DO IT NOW!

From what I've seen (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the WS6store SS is a straight-up design. I guess if you have longer arms this is for you. The UMI SS is very angled towards the driver's side, and LSS is in between the two. Just look at pictures of the 3 and you'll be able to tell. Not sure what the lengths are on each but I think its more about preference.

Shifting is now SOLID! I used to think I needed a rebuild or something because my shifter would snag on the gates when shifting 2-3 or from 5-N. Changed it out with the UMI SS and my problems were solved! The stock rubber isolated stick just felt like rowing a shovel through a bunch of rocks... terrible. The UMI stick just feels absolutely great, I now know when I'm in gear. The rebuild will have to wait.... :happy: Today I took the longer, inner road home just to test it out. I'll try to update when I can get my stock **** loose.

Oh and for anyone who has removed the shift **** from the stock stick and are about to say that I should just grow a pair and grip it hard.... the stock stick shaft spins independently of the rubber isolator base. Its really weird, I won't be able to remove the **** short of putting the stock stick in a vice. I want to salvage my shift boot and that retaining ring. :happy:
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my WS6Store shifter!

Made my shifts so much more direct, and I pretty much never miss third anymore.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
If you cut down the 5.0 stick its already angled. Dont waste your money on a short stick.
What he said!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ws 6 Short Stick Alot Better Than Stock
Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a WS6 store stick cause of the price. Its half of the other ones. I wouldn't mind trying out the others. I wished the WS6 was angled a little bit. No complaints here.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Teching In

I have the ws6 ss and i like it.It's too bad i have to rebuild my tranny out because third is popping out on me and i won't be able to test it out at the track. Also for those people that grind on third gear with this ss,i think that you are shifting faster now and you have to depress the clutch faster now.It takes a while to get adjusted.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

I have the UMI stick on the stock Hurst. IMO, it's the perfect combo. Since I put it on I have not missed third gear.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
My buddy had one of those on his camaro and your hand would hit the radio controls with it so he put the stock back on. I dont remember whos it was though. I have the one that came with the shifter and just cut about half way down the threaded part and I love it. No problems with it and it shifts very accurate and fast. I NEVER missed a gear with this set up.
It is actually harder to hit the gears with a short stick because you have less leverage and you have to pop it in gear. Essentially, you are more prone to miss gears with a short stick. The advantage is that, after a bit of practice, you can shift much faster because your hand has a shorter distance to travel.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on the ****, you can actually gain leverage with them. The pistol grip comes to mind for that. For me putting in the C6 **** gained me another inch almost in height, add the 6.5 inch WS6 store short stick with that and I'm still below stock height, but gained the short stick + short throw advantage without losing too much leverage.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SladeX
Depending on the ****, you can actually gain leverage with them. The pistol grip comes to mind for that. For me putting in the C6 **** gained me another inch almost in height, add the 6.5 inch WS6 store short stick with that and I'm still below stock height, but gained the short stick + short throw advantage without losing too much leverage.
Not to be argumentative, but how is that possible. Anyone who has taken a basic physics class knows the torque produced by a lever is proportional to the arm of the lever. A shorter lever will never produce as much torque/ft-lbs of force excerted on the arm. Pistol grip may allow you to exert more force on the lever, but the amount of torque resulting (assuming the same force exerted) will none the less be lower with a shorter throw.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Teching In

I have a UMI short stick for my car. Install was easy and only took maybe 10 min. As soon as i got everything back together I took it down the road for a spirited test run and what a difference! Shifts are now much faster and more accurate.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

I have the UMI and its awesome.. works great alot better than the stock hurst. for everyone that thinks they are going to get a short stick to shift faster thats not going to happen but what will happen is you will notice alot more vibration comming from the shifter and alot firmer more accurate shifts. these cars are not honda civics and after installing a short throw the difference will show you why. worth the money to make your car feel like an american/ canadian car
Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the UMI.only bad thing was that they sent me the wrong hardware.the bolts they sent were too small and the bolts out of my hurst shifter were to big to fit through the holes on the stick.easy fix though,just drilled the holes out on the stick to fit the hurst bolts.made it feel like a whole new shifter
Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the stock hurst with a 6" WS.6Store stick, and have a Lou's stick on a Pro 5.0 in my wifes car. Both felt great.

Quick Reply: What Short Stick?