Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Flywheel noise...click click/clank clank :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel noise...click click/clank clank :(

Hey guys, I posted this thread over on the LT1-LT4 section a few days ago, before realizing there is a section specifically for the manual transmission. I figured this thread would get more responses being in the correct section lol...

copy and pasted from previous thread:

Searched but couldnt find an answer:

Two days ago my car just started making one of the most annoying noises ever. The clutch and all components were replaced about 5 months ago by the previous owner.

I am hearing a clanking/clicking sound that is coming from the transmission (M6). It is relative to engine RPM speed...so the clicking gets faster as I rev the engine. After about 2500rpm, the noise goes away. Initially I thought I had developed a horrible lifter tick, but I pinpointed the noise to be coming from underneatch the car right around the bell housing in the tranny.

My guess is the noise has to be coming from the flywheel because the sound does not change at all if I engange or release the clutch. I'm pretty sure the previous owner also said that the flywheel was resurfaced prior to installation.

So question is, what the hell is causing this noise Only thing I can think of is the flywheel was installed incorrectly...either they bolts were not torqued right or they were not installed in the correct order. Any other factors that could cause the noise? I have not noticed any effects to driveability of the car and I don't feel any vibrations coming from it.

I know i'll end up having to pull the tranny out to fix the problem...would just like to get some ideas to possible causes so I have an idea of what to look for first.

Is there a chance I will need to replace the flywheel or purchase any other parts?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:13 AM
wrencher

It sounds like a bolt backed out. Not gonna find out till you drop the trans whats up.
I would do it soon IMO B-4 it becomes more than a noise.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:04 AM

Well today I took a HUGE risk....forced to drive the car 320 miles to come home from college for winter break.

After about 50 miles, I stopped to get food. To my surprise, the noise was completely gone and still is!

However, yesterday I pulled the starter off, removed the thin lower plate so I could see the back side of the flywheel. I then reinstalled the starter, fired the car up so I could get underneath and see the flywheel spin. I'm 95% sure the noise is/was coming from inside the bell-housing. Also, the flywheel appeared to me spinning irregularly...pretty much looked like it wasnt completely centered on it's "axis".

I know it was stupid to drive the car 300+miles today without really finding out what is going on in there. I took the chance of possibly making my problem 10x worse...but luckily everything turned out ok. Now that the noise is gone (for now), I still need to get the tranny off and figure out what has been causing the noise.

EDIT: car has been sitting for a few hours and I just went outside to pull it into the garage, Clicking/Clanking sound IS BACK!

Last edited by SumGuyFromTX86; 12-14-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default noise?

Originally Posted by wrencher
It sounds like a bolt backed out. Not gonna find out till you drop the trans whats up.
I would do it soon IMO B-4 it becomes more than a noise.
what he said! you dont want what is making noise to stop and make HOLE in bellhousing,floorboard whatever - may be something minor but id drop it now!

Quick Reply: Flywheel noise...click click/clank clank :(