Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 shifting problems after pull

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T-56 shifting problems after pull

Ok, so I have a 93 RX7 with an LS1/T56 swap and it's been acting weird lately. I can drive the car normal and easy and it will shift fine, possibly slightly notchy, but I have a b&m short shifter and a steeda shift handle so it could just be that. Anyways, after I get on the car at all in second or third gear, etc, I will drive like 1/2 a mile more after shifting and come to a place where I need to shift and the car will come out of gear ok, but after it does, it will not go into any other gear at all. Even pushing the shifter left and right while in neutral with the clutch in or out is very hard and feels like something is binding. I am running Pennsoil Synchromesh and I have checked the level twice. I also have a spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel. But like I said, normal driving it is ok, but after a hard pull in third gear usually, i'll shift to fourth, then cruise for a minute, go to shift to any other gear and I cannot until the car sits for about 5 minutes and cools off. I have my clutch line heat wrapped, and have the updated clutch slave cylinder. Any help is most appreciated.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like to me your sliders (syncros) might be bent or something causing it to be hard to shift. Atleast thats what i've heard on here from guys having a similar problem.

Have you adjusted your shifter? I've heard that that can be a problem also.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Teching In

I just don't think it's the synchros because you can shift it as fast as you like and it's fine, it's just after a hard pull that it does this. I've never heard of adjusting a shifter, do you have a link about what is involved with that?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

I have the B&M ripper shifter and its definately not notchy. I also see that you have a spec clutch. I went thru 4 or 5 spec clutches; each one defective after 5k-7k miles, all within the 4 month warranty that they give. how long/how many miles have you had that spec for?? It could be a sign of it going on its way out. Mine did the same thing on 2 of them.
check your clutch fluid. see if its black. updated slave + wrapped up line is very good. the fluid still breaks down after a couple of hard runs and turns all murky and then black which isnt good.

if it was the synchros in your trans, im pretty sure it would be grinding.
How many miles on the trans?
How many miles on the clutch?
Did you have any transmission problems prior to the clutch install?
Adj master cylinder? Drill mod?

Last edited by 98TADRIVER; 12-21-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Teching In

The transmission I bought from a member on here with I believe he told me under 60k miles on it. The clutch has maybe 400 miles on it, and I have not had a problem with a spec in the past. I also would say it isn't the clutch issue since the shifter is hard to wiggle back and forth in neutral even with the clutch disengaged. I did not have the transmission before I put it together and put it in the car, so I can't say if it had issues before but I guess that is based on the honesty of the guy who sold it to me. I have a US Brake clutch master cylinder and I have a custom stainless line on it, so no drill mod. My clutch fluid looks fine still and is definitely not black. I may change the fluid back to a standard ATF and see if that helps.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Anyone else have any ideas of what my problem could be?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Well, for future information to anyone who comes across a similar issue, I changed back to standard Dexron III fluid and my issue seems to have gone away.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say that it will re-occur unfortunately. I have been running Synchromesh in my tranny for 20k or so with ZERO issues, and MANY others on this site have used it with great results.

I had problems with my car getting stuck in 4th gear, and being hard to get out. Once it would free up, the trans seemed fine for an un-determined amount of time, you never knew when it would do it again. Sometimes it was just while shifting slowly in town traffic. One day, it got stuck, and STAYED stuck, until I pulled it apart and found the cheesy stamped sliders had been mangled to the point of wedging everything together. After some billet keys and a few other upgrades, it's been great. I feel your growing ever closer to a rebuild of at least some parts as the days go by.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Teching In

That may be so, and i'll be pissed if it's true since I was told this was a low mileage trans with no problems and this is the first time I have even driven the car somewhat hard.