Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Flywheel balancing question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flywheel balancing question

What I'm trying to do:

Take my Alum flywheel off stock LT1 M6 and install on new stroker motor with same M6/Clutch.

The story backing up the question:

I have a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel that was balanced to the crank in my stock LT1. I just purchased a stroker LT1 motor that was pulled from an Automatic. When I replaced the stock flywheel with the new one on the old motor, every machine shop in town said I had to have the crank out of the motor and a piston to give them to balance the flywheel specifically to the rotating assymbly. My question is if the stroker motor is internally balanced, do I have to pull the rotating assymbly out to rebalance the flywheel to it. Is there a way for a machine shop to balance a flywheel on it's own, without ripping apart my perfectly broke in stroker.

PS. The new flywheel only has 500 miles on it so it does not need replacing yet.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Last edited by chevydriverz28; 12-31-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

SBC stroker motors generally use the 400 crank which is externally balanced. The machine shops are probably thinking it's externally balanced as well. How do you know the engine you got is internally balanced? If it is internal, you can bolt up your flywheel with no balancing.
My $0.02
Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

ttt..
Old 01-02-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am about to do this also. What your looking for is a 0 balance.

You want the weight taken off of the existing flywheel and balanced so there is no pull to one side while spinning.(0 balanced at that point) That is when it will not have an effect on an internally balanced motor, which is what your going for.

( the people your bringing it to, think that your dealing with an externally balanced motor still.) I would take it to a engine building shop and see who they use to 0 balance their flywheels IMO.

Quick Reply: Flywheel balancing question