Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I'm lost, need help with quick disconnect on tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm lost, need help with quick disconnect on tranny.

Okay I pulled my clutch master cylinder. I already ordered a new one from ws6 store. I did the drill modd to the new one and went to put it in. The install was smooth and took lie 30 min to do. The I ran into a problem putting the quick dosconnect fitting into the tranny. It slides in but will not lock. I tried this for liek 5 min getting no where. I then pused in the ring on the tranny with an alan key and it looked as if there was an o-ring that went around the shaft to help seal the qd on it. So I started digging at my old clutch master cylinders qd and found an o-ring stuck in it that was broke into 2 pieces. My question is: should the o-ring go inside the qd or on the shaft in the tranny? I tried searching but I guess no one has this bad of luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you do any modifying, try cracking the bleeder open a little when you put in the quick disconnect. I've always had to crack the bleeder on mine to get it to latch in properly. Make sure you give it a good bleed when you have it all hooked up.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Teching In

okay will do that but is there supposed to be an o-ring on the male side(tranny side).
Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Um, no. The o-ring fits on the braided line, not the tranny side. There is a slot machined into the line for the o-ring to sit.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only 1 o-ring and it's on the hydraulic line.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, o-ring on the braided line. Go ahead and grab a new one at the dealer. If they don't have it, the parts fiche should list the size and you may be able to match it up at a parts store.

As stated, crack the bleeder with a 7/16 socket. Next time that line will clip right in no issues.

Then bleed the crap out of it, just make sure you dont run out of fluid. A hydraulic pressure bleeder works awesome. I put about 10lbs in the system and go through the bleed normally, with a buddy manning the clutch pedal up top.

Never have, never will have an issue this way.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

You'll have to open the bleed valve to allow fluid pressure to dissipate during the install. When you press the hydro end into the receiver, pull back on the plastic retaining ring (white on mine, might be grey on yours; surrounds the hydro line connector, and is split diagonally). Push the hydro line connector into the fitting, and with pressure applied, release the retaining ring. It "should" click into place, making an airtight fit. If it doesn't, apply more pressure to the metal connecting ring. DON'T USE PLIERS TO PRESS AGAINST THE METAL CONNECTOR! You can puncture the connector (yes, I know this from experience). Good luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Okay thanks for the help. Don't have it yet but I cracked the bledder valve and bled off the pressure. The qd still will not connect. I will look for a new qd. Suck I will have to pull the clutch master cylinder again to put a new qd on the line or replace the whole line and do the drill modd again. Oh well. You live and learn.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The qd is IN the slave; to replace it I believe you need to pull the slave which means pulling the tranny. Get the o-ring on and see if it clicks into place.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL I had the same damn problem today pullin my. its just a pita!!!!

Quick Reply: I'm lost, need help with quick disconnect on tranny.