Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

spec stage 3 chattering

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default spec stage 3 chattering

Ok, so my stage 3 started chattering when you give it some throttle in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. It holds strong in 1st and 2nd fine. It started doing this after I dynoed it the other week. The master and slave are brand new and the clutch only has about 1,000 miles on it. If I need a new clutch disc can I change it out with a different brand and leave this pressure plate? Anyone have any suggestions? Hate to buy another clutch assembly. Josh
Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh...it is important to know what is causing the issue before throwing parts at it. If I am understanding this correctly it was fine initially and now it is chattering after 1000 miles of use. What flywheel is being used? You dyno's the car recently...was the clutch used to slow down the rollers? If so that could cause some issues. Let me know a little more and I will be happy to assist from that point forward. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

It was fine for 1,000 miles. Yes the car was dynoed and has just started doing this now. The car was left in gear and slowed down the rollers. I guess that is what caused the problem? The flywheel is a new ams billet piece. It grips hard in first and second but when cruising and applying the throttle it will vibrate/ chatter for a second then bite. Thankyou for the help and any suggestions that you have. Josh
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
FormerVendor

Using the clutch to slow the rollers puts a lot of stress on the kit. Think of it as the same thing a clutch experiences when you don't use line-lock. The clutch it being forced to take a considerable amount of load when stopping the barrels. At any rate...pull the unit and email me some pics and I will let you know what it looks like. The kit should be rebuildable...which will save you some cash. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

I will start pulling it apart tonight. I will post pic on here. With the torque I put down in my sig, should I upgrade to a 3+ or will the 3 be ok? Thanks, Josh
Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

Josh a Stage 3 is rated to hold 680lb.-ft at the crank and that is slightly less than what I factor your numbers to be at the crank (based on the info in your sig). If you were at the limit it could lead to a greater chance for chatter/slip...especially if the clutch is not fully broken in. We will be able to see more once you post pics. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Quick Reply: spec stage 3 chattering