Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Winding Noise when Cluth Depressed

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Winding Noise when Cluth Depressed

Hi, I have a 99 SS M6 76k miles. When I press in the clutch I hear a winding sound and I feel vibration in the clutch pedal. Even if I just depress it a tiny bit I hear the noise and feel the pedal. My research on this site leads me to believe it might be the clutch release bearing or throwout bearing? My clutch fluid is kind of black (I'm going to change it) but otherwise she shifts fine and I never abused her. Any advice appreciated but I have a feeling I'm going to have to drop the tranny and of course once I go that far I should replace clutch, TO bearing, release bearing and from what I've read upgrade the hydraulics? Anything I missed... Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
FormerVendor

Typically a bearing sound will go away when the pedal is depressed because you are loading the system. When you push the pedal down further dows the sound/feel go away?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Throw out bearing?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Teching In

The noise stays that same no matter how far down I depress the clutch. You can feel the vibration in the pedal and the noise just sounds like a mechanical droning sound. Thanks for the help so far- I was hoping it might be something that didn't require taking the tranny down..
Old 03-03-2008, 02:18 PM
FormerVendor

I would pull it...it is the only way to really check it out. Let us know what you find or if you have any further questions. Thanks!