Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slip yoke sticking LT1 T56

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slip yoke sticking LT1 T56

When I slip the yoke all the way into the tranny to remove the driveshaft it gets stuck. I can remove it but I usually have to use a rubber mallet. I went ahead and removed the rear seal and I can get a pretty good look at the splines on the output shaft. I cannot see any obvious damage. Inspection of the yoke showed nothing either. After doing some measuring I found that the slip yoke is bottoming out in the tranny which is where it gets stuck. The output shaft is NOT bottoming out inside the yoke. This is a Denny’s NR d.s. with a Strange billit yoke.

The end of the yoke is chamfered and contacts what has been described as a seal that rides on the output shaft. I know I can remove the tail housing to inspect further but has anyone else had a problem with the yoke hanging up on that seal?

Prior to this I did twist the splines on a Spicer slip yoke so I’m real suspicious. This does not affect clearance to remove the d.s., with the suspension at ride height it clears the rear yoke just fine for removal. With the suspension hanging it still has some travel but not enough to remove the d.s.

Quick Reply: Slip yoke sticking LT1 T56