Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Synchro problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synchro problems?

Hi,

I've got a 2000 SS, bone stock except for an LS6 clutch that's been in the car for about two years. Since about Friday, I've been having minor issues with the tranny. It's been extremely hard to get the car into reverse, and sometimes it will grind. This has happened both cold and at operating temperature. Also, once or twice it's started to feel like... "something's wrong" between gears and with the clutch disengaged at low speeds. This is the only manual car I've ever had and it hasn't had problems up 'til now, so I don't really know how to better describe it. Also, I've tested the clutch under power and as far as I can tell, it's not slipping. RPM/MPH are normal in every gear and at every speed under acceleration.

Help me diagnose? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing I would do would be to bleed the master with some new fluid to rule that out as an issue. The fact that it's doing it in multiple gears, including reverse, tends to make me think clutch issue before internal tranny issue (unless they happened one gear at a time up to now), but it's hard to tell based on the info given so far.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reverse started being messed up since Friday... the vagueness going into other gears only started last night. I'm going to check/bleed the fluids and such... is there any other info I could give that would help with diagnosis?

Quick Reply: Synchro problems?