Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C6 Z06 T-56 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Z06 T-56 Questions

Hey guy, I am about to install a C6 Z06 trans in my 1998 Vette. The transmission in question has 5 miles on it. Should I pull it apart and replace anything in it for better longevity in a high horsepower application or should I just leave it alone since it is almost brand new. If I was going to tear it open what parts would everyone change? I am already going to tear the differential apart and replace both output shafts and the clutch packs.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would leave it alone. I doubt anyone would have screwed that transmission up in that few of miles. Hell its probably not even through its break in period
Old 03-18-2008, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
I would leave it alone. I doubt anyone would have screwed that transmission up in that few of miles. Hell its probably not even through its break in period

Yeah, the trans supposedly was perfect when it came out and in 5 miles I find it hard to see it having any problems. I was thinking more along billet synchronizer keys, bronze shift fork pad, ext.

Also, what kind of 1-2 shift fork do these things have, I know the 3-4 is steel. Any upgrades for that?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

C6 Z06 will not fit in c5 with out having the Z06 rear differental, as the zo6 has a larger output shaft than that of a c5. You will have to change the mainshaft in the tranny, or the diff. And billet keys and bronze pad would be a nice upgrade, there are currently few upgrades for the AL 1/2 fork, and there is no upgrade for the 3/4 steel fork.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
C6 Z06 will not fit in c5 with out having the Z06 rear differental, as the zo6 has a larger output shaft than that of a c5. You will have to change the mainshaft in the tranny, or the diff. And billet keys and bronze pad would be a nice upgrade, there are currently few upgrades for the AL 1/2 fork, and there is no upgrade for the 3/4 steel fork.
Yeah, I have the whole drivetrain I am swaping over. What kinds of upgrades can you get me for the 1-2 shift fork, also could you PM a total for the billet keys and bronze pad and the shift fork upgrade.

Thanks