Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Could it be my clutch making this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Could it be my clutch making this noise?

On March 16th, I smelled by LS7 clutch for the first time since installed (close to two years I believe). Two nights ago I start hearing a metallic tapping/squeaking noise coming from under the car, and it appears to have a miss while accelerating. The noise is there both at at cruise and at idle

I get home and pop the hood and the top end is noisy as hell. We tear apart the top end and inspect the valvetrain. Nothing found except I need better sealant for the rocker arms and a catch can solution. No bent pushrods, no broken springs, no damaged rockers, etc. Put it all together and the noise is (as expected ) still there.

So my buddy listens to it from the ground and says it's definitely coming from either the bellhousing or the bottom end of the motor. It's noise is being generated by something which is rotating... sounds like something is loose and might be slung around. The noise doesn't abate depending on clutch pedal position, nor does the pedal vibrate anywhere in it's travel range. Since I'm hoping this is a clutch issue and not a bottom-end issue, any ideas what might cause these symptoms from the clutch?
Old 03-23-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine started doin this as well when my clutch started slipping, so id have to assume something with the clutch
Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It's not the tranny or clutch. On a lift the noise appears to be coming from the front of the motor. We'll check the cam retainer bolts and if that's not it the motor needs to come out. So much for the easy life.

Quick Reply: Could it be my clutch making this noise?