Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lost my pedal pressure after new clutch install????

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickspeece
Hey guys, I am having the same problem that is listed above. I was about to order another slave cylinder and try that, but can someone describe how to bleed with the mighty vac on the bleeder valve? I already bought a pressure bleeder from Motion and bled over 3 quarts of fluid through it! But if it's working for you guys, I'll buy a might vac as well, after all, it justifies another tool!

Thanks!
well at first i wanna say it was just a matter of bleeding A LOT!!!!!! but then the pedal pressure slowly went back to half way nothing then the other half firm...never saw any leakage. i later totaled my car and was ripping it all apart and in the bellhousing it was ALL BLACK and around the pressure plate as well....so i pretty much narrowed it down to my slave going bad. if youre doing a clutch install and you know yor old slave has been in there for quite a while then to be safe you might as well replace it so you dont hasve to worry about it later.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was afraid of that

Thanks for keeping me updated, and I am really sorry about your car man. How long before you get another one? I was afraid it might be the slave cylinder, and I had considered buying another one. I replaced it when I did the clutch, but I put an OEM in. I think I will buy the RAM Clutch slave and give it a try. Thanks again, and good luck with your situation man.

Nick 0 Camaro 12
Old 06-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Default Tex

So I emailed the guys at Textralia and they told me that a bolt might have come loose on the pressure plate. I am going to drop the tranny and give the new theory a go. Any opinions. I still think I should order a heavier slave cylinder. I hate the thought of dropping the trans and finding a bad slave with no replacement. Also, anyone wanna recommend a new slave?

Nick 0 Camaro...well it's just kickin' my ***...
Old 06-09-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nickspeece
Thanks for keeping me updated, and I am really sorry about your car man. How long before you get another one? I was afraid it might be the slave cylinder, and I had considered buying another one. I replaced it when I did the clutch, but I put an OEM in. I think I will buy the RAM Clutch slave and give it a try. Thanks again, and good luck with your situation man.

Nick 0 Camaro 12
if you had replaced it then i dont think the slave is the problem... maybe a bolt did come loose on the pressure plate? did you torque each bolt down to 55lbs? and as for the new car, i already bought a v6 it was in rough shape but now looks amazing and was a texas car so the undercarriages is SPOTLESS! i just put in my moser 9" and have my engine/tranny left to swap in. should be done by mid july. my job and the fact that i dont get my license back till july 17th is kinda forcing me to work at a slow pace.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Default One step at a time

Nothing wrong with a slow pace, maybe that way you won't let bolts get untightened. I haven't dropped the tranny yet. I have to wait until my family is done with vacation, then it's back to the garage. Good luck with the V6...or what USED to be a V6!
Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Default The last laugh

Okay so if you have read the above thread you are probably experiencing the same problem that we had. First of all, big thanks to the folks at Textralia for all of their hard work in helping me to trouble shoot this problem. Second, the same thanks goes to all on here who gave their input. Here is the solution...

I pulled apart the drive train again on my car, dropping the tranny, and looked at everything. Textralia was wrong, the bolts on my pressure plate were installed and torqued to the correct values. However, just like a previous post, my bell housing and pressure plate were coated in black soot. I removed the slave cylinder and tore it apart. There was a large crack down one side of the plastic piston. It is impossible to know whether or not the part was defective from the factory, or if the added pressure from the new clutch was too much for it. In any case, I installed the Ram Clutches Heavy Duty slave cylinder and throwout bearing. The system now works exactly as it is supposed to. I bled the hydraulics ONCE with the slave attached to the master line, and then installed the slave onto the input shaft with the hydraulics line still attached. This way, I would not have to bleed the system once it was all reinstalled. The clutch felt strong and worked perfectly...

However, later the same day, while driving home from a friends house, the LS1 threw a rod. The motor is toast. I fixed the clutch, but the Camaro has the last laugh. Good luck to all installing an aftermarket clutch!

Nick

Nick - 1 Camaro - The War
Old 07-20-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

stop wasting your time , spend 30 bucks for a mighty vac, use some weights and toolbox to hold down the pedal
Old 10-17-2008, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Chances are your fluid disapeared into the slave cylinder initially if you replaced it... that's why your fluid level went to empty. Some people pour a little brake fluid into the slave before putting the trans back in the car ( this makes bleeding faster).
Im having the same issue with my car, its simply air in the system however, I am not to worried about it I have to pull the whole assembly out and have the flywheel balanced b/c the Fidanza I purchased "neutrally balanced" well almost balanced.

Quick Reply: lost my pedal pressure after new clutch install????