Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lost my pedal pressure after new clutch install????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lost my pedal pressure after new clutch install????

ok so i just installed a tex clutch and while i was at it i installed a remote clutch bleeder to make bleeding the clutch easier. when i had taken my old clutch out everything worked FINE! after everything was installed and ready to go i went to start the car and pressed down the clutch pedal and NOTHING. no pressure it just went straight down. i checked the fluid reservoir and it was empty....how the hell it just all of a sudden got empty i have no idea but anyways i fill it up and figure i might as well bleed the clutch now and maybe im doing something wrong but for some reason when i step on the pedal it now goes down half way with no pressure and then the other half is firm with pressure? what is goin on? the remote bleeder has a solo bleeder at the end of it and i crack it open and pumped the pedal till all the fluid was clear (while topping off the reservoir of course) and this is still happening?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

if it gets stiff half way down then your almost there on the bleed, are you manually bleeding the clutch?
it goes,

1) open bleeder,
2) push clutch pedal
3) close bleeder
4) pedal up
5) reapeat

the point is to push fluid through and rid the system of air, if you pump while holding the bleeder screw open then you're just drawing air right into the system, but since you're getting pedal feel, then you probably doing something right
unless your using a mity vac, then you don't even have to crawl under the car, it's hands down the easiest way to bleed the clutch, there about 30 bucks and you might even be able to rent one.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may not sound correct to most ppl but this is what i did when i fought for an hour with the exact same problem. i filled the resvoir and put the cap on, then opened the remote bleeder into a clear bottle, and put a little air pressure on the little hole in the res. cap. I saw a lot of air bubbles start coming out which didn't before that. now my clutch works perfectly. hope this helps some.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Leave the rubber boot out when putting the air in.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

may try that... as of now my remote bleeder has a solo bleeder on it so i dont have to open/close it in between pumps. but the thing i dont get is i had to fill the reservoir like15 times and still nothing better than half way pedal pressure.

one thing i still dont get is where all my clutch fluid went in the first place? i mean it was full when i first started the clutch install and then when i was finished it was empty? no sign of leakage either. but i dunno when i get back from work ill just try bleeding it more and hopefully my only problem is there is a lot of air in the system.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh ya one other thing.. Dunno if this is normal but when bleeding, the pedal will act the same way and go down half way with no fluid pumping out and then the rest of the way it will pump fluid out?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so i bled the hell out of the clutch .... for a moment while the car is jacked up the pedal felt like normal again. the minute i put the car down and go for a test drive it drives but i can lightly push the clutch pedal down half way and then the other half feels like normal (firm) for the rest of the way down. throughout this last half is when the clutch engages and disengaes. it does this litterally the moment i start to let off the pedal.

i have the textralia OZ700 Z grip if anyone know if this is how the clutch is supposed to engage/disengage?

but from what i know a properly bled master/slave should allow the clutch pedal to have a consistant pressure feedback instead of half way it easily goes down and the final half it is firm and takes force to go down.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

I also had a broken spring on the pedal that i had to replace. I did the adjustable master mod while i was replacing the spring. I still think the air in the resevior did it for me.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the spring on my pedal works fine and as for putting some pressure on the little hole in the reservoir cap...how do i go about doing this? put my mouth on and it? do i have the bleeder open at the same time? then what?
i think this is all i have left to try.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had this happen to me when I installed my new remote bleeder as well.
Try this:

Open bleeder and pump 5 times or so
Close the bleeder and pump the pedal 25-30 times
Check reservoir and top off if necessary
Repeat until desired pedal pressure returns.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
I had this happen to me when I installed my new remote bleeder as well.
Try this:

Open bleeder and pump 5 times or so
Close the bleeder and pump the pedal 25-30 times
Check reservoir and top off if necessary
Repeat until desired pedal pressure returns.
In gonna try this when I get back home. Thanks for the input
Old 03-25-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by C Murda
In gonna try this when I get back home. Thanks for the input
Good luck man
Old 03-25-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I just installed my Tex, I had the same soft pedal issue and thought something was wrong. I ended up just pumping the hell out of it for about a minute and it just magically (or hydraulically, hehe) got firm.

Keep in mind that the Tex is a stock-feel clutch and if you had something like a Spec or RAM in there before it, even a lower stage clutch, it's going to feel EXTREMELY soft comparatively.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so this is the second time this has happened but when i got home from work after the car had sat untouched over night, i went and decided to try the pedal and it was firm all the way through. i figured maybe the air had worked itself out if there was air in there but the moment i went to drive the car it went back to half=no pressure and rest of the way down it was firm.
anyways i tried that previous stated method of bleeding with the remote bleeder and maybe i just didnt do it enough (5-6 times) but the pedal feel didnt change. now after a full night of driving/testing the new clutch the pedal seemed to have gotten worse? feels like it goes down 2/3 of the way easily and then the remaining 1/3 is firm? i dunno whats goin on. no signs of leakage. i dont work tomorow so maybe ill spend all day testing things...
Old 03-26-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok so this is the second time this has happened but when i got home from work after the car had sat untouched over night, i went and decided to try the pedal and it was firm all the way through. i figured maybe the air had worked itself out if there was air in there but the moment i went to drive the car it went back to half=no pressure and rest of the way down it was firm.
anyways i tried that previous stated method of bleeding with the remote bleeder and maybe i just didnt do it enough (5-6 times) but the pedal feel didnt change. now after a full night of driving/testing the new clutch the pedal seemed to have gotten worse? feels like it goes down 2/3 of the way easily and then the remaining 1/3 is firm? i dunno whats goin on. no signs of leakage. i dont work tomorow so maybe ill spend all day testing things...
Just gotta keep bleeding it, usually takes an hour or so. Also, I'd try picking up a mightvac from your local parts store and bleed it from both the master/reservoir as well as your new speed bleeder.

Good luck man, dont let the hydraulics get you down
Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya so an update...the clutch pedal definately isnt supposed to feel this way cause i went out to do some WOT runs and it wont let me upshift while in WOT!????
Old 03-28-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok problem solved. I spent 2qrts of fluid and bled my clutch the way lilbuddy mentioned and it seemed to have worked! I still have about an inch of pedal play but that does not bother me much. Must have had a lot of air in the system from when my fluid magically disappeared when I changed my clutch.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok problem solved. I spent 2qrts of fluid and bled my clutch the way lilbuddy mentioned and it seemed to have worked! I still have about an inch of pedal play but that does not bother me much. Must have had a lot of air in the system from when my fluid magically disappeared when I changed my clutch.
Good to hear man! Glad I could help

Now, get that clutch broken in!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Hey guys, I am having the same problem that is listed above. I was about to order another slave cylinder and try that, but can someone describe how to bleed with the mighty vac on the bleeder valve? I already bought a pressure bleeder from Motion and bled over 3 quarts of fluid through it! But if it's working for you guys, I'll buy a might vac as well, after all, it justifies another tool!

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nickspeece
Hey guys, I am having the same problem that is listed above. I was about to order another slave cylinder and try that, but can someone describe how to bleed with the mighty vac on the bleeder valve? I already bought a pressure bleeder from Motion and bled over 3 quarts of fluid through it! But if it's working for you guys, I'll buy a might vac as well, after all, it justifies another tool!

Thanks!
If you have a pressure bleeder and have already ran that much fluid through it, its possible that you may in fact have a faulty hydraulic part. If I were you, I'd pull the master and see if you can bench bleed it.

Quick Reply: lost my pedal pressure after new clutch install????