Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave cylinder strikes again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slave cylinder strikes again?

Asking this to help out a friend, plus I was supposed to buy the car this Friday! Its an 02. She had trouble getting it in and out of gear, got progressively worse as she tried to get it home. This all happened in about a 3 hour time span, it hasn't been showing problems. I don't think its the clutch because she babies the car and doesn't drag it or drive it very hard. I drove the car 2 weeks ago and everything felt fine to me. Apparently once in gear it doesn't grind but it does grind when going into gear, like something isn't engaging or moving out of the way inside of the tranny. Its at the transmission shop right now & we should get their "expert" opinion in the morning, which will probably be to rebuild & replace everything. Sounds like it needs a new slave &/or master cylinder and a good fluid flush?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

The grinding is the sound of the synchro sleeve teeth being grounded off as a result of the clutch not disengaging. Doesn't mean it's a clutch problem, probably hydraulics, could be a shredded clutch disk. Is there any dead pedal, or is it stiff all the way?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
The grinding is the sound of the synchro sleeve teeth being grounded off as a result of the clutch not disengaging. Doesn't mean it's a clutch problem, probably hydraulics, could be a shredded clutch disk. Is there any dead pedal, or is it stiff all the way?
Clutch pedal is stiff all the way, now it just has problems going into gear, but has no problems coming out of gear.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
DJB
12 Second club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my slave went my pedal stayed to the floor and I couldn't get it to go in gear.