Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 6th gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my 88 car, changing gears did very little to the gas mileage, and that was going from 2.73 to 3.23. A change from 3.42 to 3.89 (in my case I'm going to a 3.90), will yield little change as well.

I've tested highway driving at various speeds, tried holding 65mph the whole time, and another tried 75-80mph. The result was nearly identical gas mileage for a full bolt on/cam car.

As long as you aren't constantly accelerating and braking and holding a consistent speed, our engines are fairly efficient. The higher speed may be spinning more rpm but you have more speed. The only thing you are changing with speed is really an increase in friction from the air in the form of drag, which is still not a big change. Aero doesn't come into play until much higher speeds.

What WILL lose you mileage is the fact you are going to a 9". The size of the gear + physical weight is more rotating mass and every time you accelerate it will require more energy to gain speed than the 10 bolt.

So don't worry too much about highway mileage, it'll be your city mileage that will see a bit of a drop.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
I'm sorry but I'm lost here. Your driving a car that has a 9" and you complaining about going from a 3.42 gear to a 3.89 gear. If it was that big of a deal then why not just stay with the 3.42s or hell even put some 2.73s in there and really get the motor to chug going down the highway.
x2
Almost any modification to a car is going to be a trade off. You just need to decide what's more important to you and go with that.

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Sorry I'm not trying to be an ***, but going from a 3.42 to a 3.89 just doesn't seem like it would make that big of a difference, mabye a mpg or 2. Me on the other hand am trying to decide between 4.10s, 4.30s, or 4.56s and if I can pull mid 20s with the T56 crusing I'm cool with that, but if not then you just gotta pay to play.
I lost 2-3mpg on the highway just going from 3.42 to 3.73 gears, so I figure at least 3-4mpg would be lost going from 3.42 to 3.89 gears. Again, if gas mileage is more important, go with a lower numeric ratio.

Quick Reply: T56 6th gear