Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch/Tranny problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Tranny problems?

Alright, so i recently installed a centerforce clutch on my car and replaces the throwout bearing, slave and master cylinder. Idk if i have air in my lines or what, but the clutch engages when i lift my foot just a hair of the floor. And when i have the clutch all the way in sometimes it will keep moving foward. The past few days when i wake up and drive to school, i cant even get into first gear becuase its like the clutch wont disengage all the way, it just grinds and wont let me throw it into first. So i had to turn of the car to put it in first.

Once im lucky enough to get it into first, then it will shift thorugh all the other gears no problem. Idk what it is, can any one help or throw some suggestions?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Teching In

BTW its a 98 SS
Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Teching In

someone help please, this crap is going to drive me crazy
Old 04-10-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would check the clutch set up and that is fully releases. Sounds like its not. Air in the feel line can do that. Just because you can shift doesn't mean you aren't ripping up the synchros with the clutch drag. You will want to fix this before you drive it much.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was there a shim that was supposed to be installed behind the slave cylinder? Did you put it in? People forgetting to do this is one of the major causes I've seen for a low engagement point (or full disengagement issues). Some clutches require them (SPEC and others) and some don't (Textralia and others). They typically supply them, though. If this is all set, we can go from there. Let us know.

And by the way, I highly recommend NOT driving the car at all until you get this sorted out. I had a clutch disnegagement issue recently and had just installed a brand new Six Speeds Inc GTO transmission in November/December (a couple months ago). I drove it RARELY because of winter and this issue, pretty much only to troubleshoot since we had no idea what the issue was.

Well, even with that SMALL amount of driving, once we got the issue sorted out, the tranny didn't feel right. I sent it back to Six Speeds Inc and they said that almost all of the first gear synchro teeth were already ground off.

Not to scare you, but be aware of the issues you can cause driving, and especially racing, the car in that condition. Fix it first.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Thats What i was thinking but i wasnt to sure how shimming worked and where exactly a shim would go. The clutch nor anything cam with something to shim with. How would i go about trouble shooting this?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Teching In

And could i just buy an adjustable master cylinder instead of shimming the slave, because dropping the tranny again would be a big pain in the ***
Old 04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Teching In

So... i called centerforce and after explaining what is wrong with my car. after i asked about shimming The rep said that Centerforce doesnt believe in shimming, that i need to adjust my pedal. um????? Im so stuck
Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

well the pedal adjustment is automatic so there is nothing for you to adjust.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Guys please help. This is my DD so i need to get it fixed
Old 04-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Teching In

So this is where i am at. I think that it is something dealing with the hydraulics. My buddy has an 01 ss and i have a 98. I looked at his pedal and it seems like his pedal has twice the lenght of travel of mine. Its like my pedal doesnt come out all the way or something