Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 fill question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 fill question

This may be a stupid question but can you fill a T56 through the shifter opening? looks like there is a hole there that leads to the trans. I think this wuold be a helluva lot easier than the side underneath.

Also what is the Tq spec for the Pressure plate bolts into al aluminum flywheel?

TIA
Josh
Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can fill the tranny through the shifter opening. Just be sure that nothing but transmission fluid gets in there.

Not sure on the specs for the PP to an aluminum flywheel, though. I would imagine they're the same as the steel flywheel, but I'll refrain from that being my final answer.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

umm yeh.. you could... but that's not the proper way. it would take longer, allow you to make a mess in the car, and you would have to take the shifter out.

that would take like 58743 times longer than removing a simple fill bolt.

additionally, filling the tranny through the proper hole is the only way to insure that the thing is properly full.

i think like in many things, your attempt at laziness will open a huge can of worms.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BadGTho
umm yeh.. you could... but that's not the proper way. it would take longer, allow you to make a mess in the car, and you would have to take the shifter out.

that would take like 58743 times longer than removing a simple fill bolt.

additionally, filling the tranny through the proper hole is the only way to insure that the thing is properly full.

i think like in many things, your attempt at laziness will open a huge can of worms.
Everyone I know fills the transmission through the shifter hole, and most are either ASE certified techs or mechanics at well-respected LSX shops. As long as you put the proper amount in, why not fill it through the shifter hole if the shifter is already off (clutch swap, tranny swap, etc)? I guarantee you it's MUCH quicker to fill it through that hole than through the little fill hole in the side; and it's not like it goes to a different part of the transmission if you fill it through one or the other.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Didnt sixspeedinc recommend filling through the shifter hole in another thread, i think they said it was the best way to do it since you can know exactly how much you put in..
Old 04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Well not really lazyness the shifter is out b/c clutch swap. and taking the fill plug out is agreed not to hard squeezing the bottle in w/o making a mes is a different story.
But thanks for the input.
Josh
Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OlMastaScrilla
Didnt sixspeedinc recommend filling through the shifter hole in another thread, i think they said it was the best way to do it since you can know exactly how much you put in..
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Well not really lazyness the shifter is out b/c clutch swap. and taking the fill plug out is agreed not to hard squeezing the bottle in w/o making a mes is a different story.
But thanks for the input.
Josh
Exactly. There is absolutely no problem filling the transmission through the shifter hole. And if the shifter is already out, it's less messy and about ten times faster. There is no reason not to do it this way unless you are just topping it off if it's a little low when everything is already fully installed.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: T56 fill question