Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember.... If your car suddenly doesn't start.

Check that neutral safety switch first! lol
Old 05-05-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Here are My Pics From Tonights work

I didnt really get a whole lot done tonight, Got the car up in the air in preperation of the removal of the 4l60E. I also removed my center console and the auto shifter.

Here are the Pics

Center console and auto shifter are out

Old 05-05-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Plz make sure to post pics of the wiring(reverse light,VSS,& Clutch pedal switch)
Good luck
Old 05-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

yea thanks i got it figured out i got it all done what if i dont hook up the neutral safety switch it should still run since the car was originally a A4
Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinkin about doing this on my V6. Althoug there are a few snags I would hit as opposed to a T5 swap, I think the ratios would be great and cruising to the track at 100 mph would be so much nicer if I had 2 overdrives
Old 05-05-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Looking good man, and those aren't my pics. My car still looks like yours at this time, I don't have a hole or anything. I need to get it cut out this weekend and finish up clean and painting the underside of my car. Right now my motor is just sitting there waiting to be tore down, IU would have got that done, but my brother stole my engine stand to do his motor LOL. But I just don't want to rush this thing, I did that last time and ended up costing me alot more in the long run than if I would have waited and done it right the first time.

Keep up the good work man, I'm actually stoked for ya haha
Old 05-05-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by scorpion_z28
Plz make sure to post pics of the wiring(reverse light,VSS,& Clutch pedal switch)
Good luck
Will do as soon as I get to to that point, Im hoping to get the 4l60e out tonight but you know how that goes.

Originally Posted by ls1slow
yea thanks i got it figured out i got it all done what if i dont hook up the neutral safety switch it should still run since the car was originally a A4
If you dont hook up the neutral safety switch then the car wont start unless you hook 2 of the wires together from you A4 shifter harness. I cant remember on their colors for sure check out the sticky they had it all described in there with what color wires and stuff, if you need more help let me know.

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Looking good man, and those aren't my pics. My car still looks like yours at this time, I don't have a hole or anything. I need to get it cut out this weekend and finish up clean and painting the underside of my car. Right now my motor is just sitting there waiting to be tore down, IU would have got that done, but my brother stole my engine stand to do his motor LOL. But I just don't want to rush this thing, I did that last time and ended up costing me alot more in the long run than if I would have waited and done it right the first time.

Keep up the good work man, I'm actually stoked for ya haha

Thanks man, I thought that was your car lol, I guess you are still in the same boat as me. Sounds like you all have some big projects going on right now. Im like you though, I cant wait to get this all in and done, but I really want to take my time and make sure that I do everything right. Im hoping to pull my automatic out tonight, or at least get as much done on it as I can. But anyways ill check back in tonight if I get anything done, and post some pics.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Thats what I like to hear LOL. I wish it was my car casue I'd be driving the thing haha, but I came across those pics and saved them to give me a better idea. Right now I'm trying to get ahold of Spec to get my disk, but am having trouble getting the price that David quoted me, guess I'll have to call them again and see
Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice to see someone else doing a swap with pictures. I had nothing really to go by when I did mine. Add it to the sticky!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy ****. lol

I would have just went with a stall and called it a day. haha I love my stick but I don't love driving a stick that much.

Looks like you are coming along really well.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its honestly not a hard swap, and I would rather do it again than pull an automatic 15 times to get it working right.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Like Arc00TA said, It does look really scary but its actually not all the hard just really time consuming. There are some hard parts like mounting that master cylinder was a HUGE PITA I hope it wont have to be replaced anytime soon. its the 01-02 style with the drill mod already done. Hopefully the rest of th swap will go pretty smooth. I just picked up a really nice transmission jack today, so that will make things a little easier. I also bought a swivel and a bunch of extentions and a bunch of other odds and ends tools that I needed.

Arc00TA You have any Idea as to why my clutch pedal sits lower than the brake pedal?? I can pull up on it but it wont budge, will it go up once the slave is hooked up?? I wish someone knew an answer to this.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need the slave hooked up and fully bled. Mine was almost to the floor until I got it bled out properly and hooked up. Did you bench bleed the master before installing it?

On a side note, if you use about 2" long thin screws and nuts the master is really freakin easy to mount up, even by yourself. With the steering column out you can even reach the other side to hold them still to tighten it.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes the master cylinder has been bench bled and has the drill mod, the guy I bought it from did all that. I didnt know if the pedal would come up after bleeding or not. all I did was hook the rod to the pedal and it sets about an inch lower than the brake pedal and you cant pull it up at all it wont budge.

Yeah I ended up using some 5\16 bolts nuts and lock washers after I got fed up with the u bolt and I was able to get to it through the hole where the steering colunm goes and yeah It was 10 times easier.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your master is fully bench bled you wont be able to depress the rod at all, and it will be sitting as high as it's gonna get. If that's what you've got it's a good thing, cause it'll make life way easier when you go to bleed the system completely. It's possible that you can get air in the master thats impossible or extremely difficult to remove unless you bench bleed it and install it full of fluid with the reservoir. I'll take a look at my pedals tomorrow and see what the height difference is as a reference for you.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Cool stuff I am going the opposite way, just sold my T-56 setup to go auto.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Second Moderator

Just the thought of doing a trans swap without a 2 post lift makes my old tired back ache. Only 2 grand of my kids inheritance well spent. Looking good, you guys will be hangin' em and bangin' em in no time.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

After taking the week end off from working on her i finaly got around to doing the wiring tonight. ive got an m6 harness and ecm so all i had to do was run one wire from the m6 harness to the anticipate switch. still have to use some of the wires from the a4 interior harness though (clutch switch, hatch release). my clutch pedal is realy soft as well. its hooked up to the slave too. i didnt bench bleed mine because i though it came from the factory already done. damn it. i hope i can bleed it w/o taking the damn thing back out. im so close to being done w/ this swap its stupid. here are some pics of my kooks installed (trans has since been bolted up), "off the shelf" lower boot, and the one wire i had to cut from the m6 harness for the anticipate switch. please dont mind the hack job hole i made. all i had was a cut off tool. drilled a bunch of holes to keep the sparks from flying around too much. the lower boot i got covers everything including the a4 harness hole. good luck guys! keep pluggin.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Looking good man, I think I'll be pretty close to you guys by the weekend. Hopefully I'll get left alone long enough to make some progress LOL all of my and my brothers friends have been stopping out to check out the progress on our projects which means we have to stop and entertain for a while, then someone else will stop and so on HAHA

Keep the pics coming guys and deffinately post up how you like grabbing gears if you get that far
Old 05-06-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Tonights work and Pics

Hey Guys well tonight I ended up getting alot of work done. I started taking out the 4L60e. Driveshaft is out, Torque Arm Mount is off, Cooler Lines and Dipstick Tube are off, Tranny Mount and Crossmember are off, Starter is off and inpecton cover, All electrical connections are off.

Now Im almost there, all I have to do now is remove the 3 torque converter bolts, and remove the bellhousing bolts, and then pull out the Transmission.

Here are a Few pics.

Torque Converter Bolt (anyone have any suggestions with taking these things out so I dont strip them and so they will come out easy?)

Well thats all I have for tongiht, Hopefully I will have this thing out by tomm night (if im lucky) Thanks for all the replys

Quick Reply: My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning