Old 05-06-2008, 03:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow what a job good work so far, just keep going its worth it when your done
Old 05-06-2008, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike44138
If your master is fully bench bled you wont be able to depress the rod at all, and it will be sitting as high as it's gonna get. If that's what you've got it's a good thing, cause it'll make life way easier when you go to bleed the system completely. It's possible that you can get air in the master thats impossible or extremely difficult to remove unless you bench bleed it and install it full of fluid with the reservoir. I'll take a look at my pedals tomorrow and see what the height difference is as a reference for you.
My master has been bench bleed prior to the install, I have no clue as to why my pedal sits so low but its really got me worried. and your right I cannot depress the clutch at all due to it being bench bleed. Right now my clutch pedal sits about 1 inch lower than my brake pedal. I can pull up on the clutch pedal and it moves up about 1\4 inch more but thats about it.

Here is a picture I can take some more from the side so you can get a better idea as to where it is sitting if youd like but here is a front shot of where its setting right now.

After I bleed the master when its hooked up to the slave. If my pedal still sits lower than my brake still, is it going to affect the engagement of the clutch or will it be ok? I really hope I can figure this out. I hope my master is not mounted in the wrong place or something. I can take some more pics of that too if you would like. Thanks alot for the help.

Omec- Good Work man Looks like its commin along very nice. and those headers look awesome, wont be too long before we are bangin gears. PS thanks alot for the pics, that will help me out.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black99T\A
My master has been bench bleed prior to the install, I have no clue as to why my pedal sits so low but its really got me worried. and your right I cannot depress the clutch at all due to it being bench bleed. Right now my clutch pedal sits about 1 inch lower than my brake pedal. I can pull up on the clutch pedal and it moves up about 1\4 inch more but thats about it.

After I bleed the master when its hooked up to the slave. If my pedal still sits lower than my brake still, is it going to affect the engagement of the clutch or will it be ok? I really hope I can figure this out. I hope my master is not mounted in the wrong place or something. I can take some more pics of that too if you would like. Thanks alot for the help.

Omec- Good Work man Looks like its commin along very nice. and those headers look awesome, wont be too long before we are bangin gears. PS thanks alot for the pics, that will help me out.
my pedal sits where yours is. my buddy stoped by last night and looked at it funny as well. will find out if it works soon enough i guess. just hope i can bleed mine. w/ the converter bolts - just reach in to the starter opening w/ a small extension and brake em loose and either turn the fly wheel over w/ a screw driver or crank. oh and watch out for that top trany bolt! lol i couldnt even see the damn thing. i had to look at a pic on line and count how many bolts i took out. you will need a very long extension, and swivel to get at it. i had to pull down on the tail shaft to even see it. im so glad im not putting that damn thing back in.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Be careful dude those are the bolts i striped there super tight and a pain to get to. Dont use the craftsmen allen socket it has a bit of roundness on the end good luck. I just got mine back from the tranny shop 150 to get those 2 bolts out and drop the tranny im gonna put the flywheel and everything on tom
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Hey Guys here are some updates and Pics of tonights work

First off I went to the auto parts store and bought an 8mm Hex bit socket 3\8 drive. Got one of my buddys to hold the crank and then I proceded to heat the torque converter bolts up with a blow tourch untill they were red hot I did one at a time and they came off easy as heck. I was very surprised, and I only busted my knuckles once lol so all was good.

After that I removed all the Bellhousing bolts and then used a pry bar to seperate the tranny from the motor. (had to get it off the 2 dowl pins) Then I pulled out the ol 4L60e and then removed the Flexplate.

Here are the Pics

Out with the old

Hopefully not too much longer

Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

^^^^^^^^

Very nice, I felt like **** earlier today so I called in to work and went out to work on my car after I started feeling better. I got the whole underside stripped down and painted, its not perfect, but its better than rust. I also welded on my hangers to my exhaust so I don't have and clamps hanging down anymore, and welded up a hole on my piece of **** Hookers (factory weld on the tubes pulled apart and pulled a chunk out of the primary tube). Then I took the auto pedals out and am getting ready for 3 pedals. And then I modded my headlights and took out the factory bulbs and put some silverstars in. Thats about it LOL, looks like you got a ton of work done too. And I forgot my camera so you'll have to wait for the pics

Keep the pics coming man, you just going to use the stock shifter for now? I had a guy pm me with a Hurst if you want me to give you the name let me know, if not its cool
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey man thats awesome Glad to hear you got that undercarrage painted and all, sounds good. Its always good to not go in to work to mess with your car LOL did it myself today. I wish I had LT's and ORY, That will prolly be my next mod, good to hear you got yours fixed up.

How did everything go with taking out your pedals? If you need any help or have any ?'s let me know and Ill try and help you as best as I can. Its really not all that hard cept for mounting the master and all the wireing can be a bit intimadating, but the good thing is that all the wires have a place and will only go in one spot so you cant really screw anything up as long as they all are plugged back in. As for the master I would really suggest not using that POS U bolt and just getting some bolts and nuts and put them on through the hole where the steering column goes, makes it 10 times easier.

Well next all I have to do Is cut my hole for the shifter and then do the wireing and install the T56 I hope everything goes pretty smooth. I know Im prolly going to run into problems here and there just hope I can think my way through them.

I actually Have a Hurst Comp Plus shifter new in the box with a Chrome handle and Black hurst ball. I bought it a couple a weeks back got a really good deal on it. I ordered my clutch today and It will be in tomm. Just went with a stocker for now but it comes with PP, Disc, Throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and a alignment tool. Not to bad my friend works at a auto parts store so hes going to give me his discount too, so that should be pretty good.

One question, when I install the pilot bearing Im going to tap it in with a socket and a hammer but. How far back into the crank is it suppost to go, just tap it in till it wont go any futher or till it sits flush with th front or what?

Im going to work on it some more tomm if it doesnt rain here, Its suppost to, but if I get a chance to do anything Ill make sure I take lots of pics. Cant wait to see your pics eather. We will get this done eventually I hope

Last edited by Black99T\A; 05-07-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just took a look at my pedals, the clutch and brake are even with each other, the gas pedal sits about 1-2 inches lower than the brake.

Besides the issue of comfort and driveability, if you're getting a full depression of the master's piston then you shouldn't have any clutch issues. Only thing I'd worry about is that the pedal will bottom out on the floor before fully depressing the master? Definitely worth testing.

Last edited by Mike44138; 05-07-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Pedlas came out just fine, except for the damn bolt at the top that I didn't see at first. The wiring shouldn't be too bad, I did my homework on that so it should go pretty smooth and the pedals that I got have all of the switches on them so that helps alot

I'll take alot of pics for sure this weekend, kinda sucks that my car is 25 miles away and I don't have any extra time lately (besides weekends) to work on it.

How hard was it to drill the holes for the clutch pedal? Did you have to get a 90* adapter for your drill or does it actually fit in there, just doesn't look like theres alot of room anywhere
Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Pedlas came out just fine, except for the damn bolt at the top that I didn't see at first. The wiring shouldn't be too bad, I did my homework on that so it should go pretty smooth and the pedals that I got have all of the switches on them so that helps alot

I'll take alot of pics for sure this weekend, kinda sucks that my car is 25 miles away and I don't have any extra time lately (besides weekends) to work on it.

How hard was it to drill the holes for the clutch pedal? Did you have to get a 90* adapter for your drill or does it actually fit in there, just doesn't look like theres alot of room anywhere

I used an 1 1/2 hole saw from the inside. you got room.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its wasnt hard, when the pedals and steering column are out, there is plenty of room in there to get your drill in. I just used a really long drill bit to make it a little bit easier but a short one will work too. and I used a 1 3\4 hole saw to drill the hole for the master.

Just took a look at my pedals, the clutch and brake are even with each other, the gas pedal sits about 1-2 inches lower than the brake.

Besides the issue of comfort and driveability, if you're getting a full depression of the master's piston then you shouldn't have any clutch issues. Only thing I'd worry about is that the pedal will bottom out on the floor before fully depressing the master? Definitely worth testing.
Hey thanks alot for the help and checking on that for me. Im going to have to check this thing out. Do you think I may have mounted my master a little bit too low? Would this make the pedal sit a little bit lower? If thats the case what the heck do you think I should do to fix the problem? I really want to make sure this is all done perfict. The way I see it is if your not going to put forth the effort to do something right then you might as well not even mess with it. Im going to go out in a little bit, If it will ever stop raining and take a pic of my master, and my pedals from the side and let you see if its mounted in the wrong spot, I hope not cause I really dont want to take all that stuff back out again, but I will if I have too.

Thanks again man
Old 05-07-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey thanks alot for the help and checking on that for me. Im going to have to check this thing out. Do you think I may have mounted my master a little bit too low? Would this make the pedal sit a little bit lower? If thats the case what the heck do you think I should do to fix the problem? I really want to make sure this is all done perfict. The way I see it is if your not going to put forth the effort to do something right then you might as well not even mess with it. Im going to go out in a little bit, If it will ever stop raining and take a pic of my master, and my pedals from the side and let you see if its mounted in the wrong spot, I hope not cause I really dont want to take all that stuff back out again, but I will if I have too.

Thanks again man
i just got the hydrolics bled up tonight and the pedal still sits where yours does. i think thats where its supose to be dude. it hits both switches and feels good. but i havnt tried to shift yet either. so will see. i dont think you could of bolted it up wrong. you cant realy get it any higher do to it not lining up w/ the holes in the padal assembly. i think your good. ill know this week end if it works ok.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again man
I'm no expert on the swap, but it could be possible that the auto brake or gas pedals are mounted differently than the m6. The strange thing to me is that your brake and gas look to be at the same height, but my gas pedal is definitely at least an inch below my brake.

It's been a while since I replaced my master, but from what I remember I had to back off the clutch safety switch in order to get the rod onto the pedal when it was fully bolted in and installed. (Didn't think to do it as I was installing and I wasn't about to back it out once I got the bolts in) It was pretty tight and took a fair amount of manipulating. Looking at your pics, the mounting looks ok. Like I said, I'd just test it to make sure you're getting a full depression of the plunger in the master and that it's contacting the safety switch when it's adjusted properly. Don't test it by hooking up the slave and pushing the pedal. Without the clutch and trans installed to hold the slave together you'll blow out the seals on the slave.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

You get that thing in there yet Black??? Or is it still raining where your at? I can't wait until this weekend, I don't have any plans besides work on my car. I'm hoping to get ALOT done. I now either have all of my parts or they are on their way except for a pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and pressure plate bolts. These parts I'll make my brother order tomorrow. Next weekend in my birthday party so I'm hoping that 99% of the work will be done this weekend since I probably won't be worth a **** next weekend haha.

Oh I stilll need to send my PCM to Ion too, **** I forgot about that. I'll try to get alot of pics of everything this weekend and hopefully my pedals will be lined up better than yours, that kinda sucks hopefully everthing will straighten out once its all hooked up
Old 05-08-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm no expert on the swap, but it could be possible that the auto brake or gas pedals are mounted differently than the m6. The strange thing to me is that your brake and gas look to be at the same height, but my gas pedal is definitely at least an inch below my brake.

It's been a while since I replaced my master, but from what I remember I had to back off the clutch safety switch in order to get the rod onto the pedal when it was fully bolted in and installed. (Didn't think to do it as I was installing and I wasn't about to back it out once I got the bolts in) It was pretty tight and took a fair amount of manipulating. Looking at your pics, the mounting looks ok. Like I said, I'd just test it to make sure you're getting a full depression of the plunger in the master and that it's contacting the safety switch when it's adjusted properly. Don't test it by hooking up the slave and pushing the pedal. Without the clutch and trans installed to hold the slave together you'll blow out the seals on the slave.
you prob. cant tell very well in the pictures but the gas pedal does actually sit lower than the brake too, the pedals mount the same as the A4 ones do, so theres nothing you can really screw up on there. But Im just going to take your advice and see how the pedal feels once its all bleed and everything is hooked up. and I guess Ill just go there, thanks alot for the help.

You get that thing in there yet Black??? Or is it still raining where your at? I can't wait until this weekend, I don't have any plans besides work on my car. I'm hoping to get ALOT done. I now either have all of my parts or they are on their way except for a pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and pressure plate bolts. These parts I'll make my brother order tomorrow. Next weekend in my birthday party so I'm hoping that 99% of the work will be done this weekend since I probably won't be worth a **** next weekend haha.

Oh I stilll need to send my PCM to Ion too, **** I forgot about that. I'll try to get alot of pics of everything this weekend and hopefully my pedals will be lined up better than yours, that kinda sucks hopefully everthing will straighten out once its all hooked up
Hey man, Nope I cant get anything done here, it sucks it has been raining since yesterday and rained all through the day and It just now stopped but the ground is still all wet, so if it dry's out a little bit im going outside to get to work. If it wasnt for all this rain id prolly be finishing things up right now. Im just going to have to see what the weather does, i think there calling for more rain tonight.

Hopefully you will get done with your car this weekend. and hopefully I will too. I still need to have my PCM re-flashed too, i think im going to go up the the dealership in town and see if they can do it, one of my friends knows a few of the techs that work in there. Yeah im hoping my pedal will strighten up, I guess ill just have to wait and see.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default OK guys I believe I found out why my Clutch Pedal sits lower than my brake pedal.

You guys tell me if im right or wrong cause I dont know if it would matter or not? but I beleve this would make my pedal sit where it is suppost to be.

Here are my Pedals

Note* In the 3 above Pictures I am pulling up on the pedal a bit to get the slack out and make the pedal come up about a half inch from where it would normally sit.

Here is a Pic of where my master is mounted. *Note where the stud is at the bottom of where the master is mounted. (Its touching my bracket)

Now here is a Pic of a members pedals who perfomed the swap, his clutch pedal is even with his brake pedal. Note* Look at the same stud from the pic where my master is mounted, his master is mounted just a tad higher than mine. Would this small diffrence in my master being mounted just a tad bit lower make such a big diffrence as to where the clutch pedal sits?? If I move my master up a bit is my clutch pedal going to be even with the brake pedal??

I hope you guys dont think im making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I really just wanna make sure that everything is done right and I dont want to cut courners, I really want my pedals to sit where they are suppost too from factory. Thanks
Old 05-09-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Well I don't know what to tell you about your pedal, you wouldn't think a half an inch would throw it off that far. But then it might...
Old 05-11-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

I updated my post if you didn't see it yet, I added about 20-25 pics LOL. Doesn't seem like I got anything done, but its deffinately getting closer. I'll have my header gaskets and header bolts on monday and tuesday I'll have the bolts for the flywheel and pressure plate. I still need to get the throw out bearing and my brother stole my pilot bearing but that will be here monday or tuesday. I'm going to send my computer out on friday so hopefully everything will be done the begining of next week (the week of the 19th)

Hows everyone elses progress going?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Hey Guys Tonights Pics!

Here are a couple a Pics I shot of all the work I got done today.

-Cut the hole in the floor for shifter
-Installed Pilot Bearing
-Installed Clutch
-T56 Is In

Now I just have to put in the crossmember, tranny mount, Hook up the torque arm mount, Install the driveshaft, do the wiring and then bleed the system.

Here are some of the pics that I took

Thats all the pics I have for now, It started raining outside so I had to quit, But I worked on it off and on all day.

Only problem I Have now Is my ls1 starter wont fit anymore because I had to use a Bellhousing off a LS2 GTO, If I buy a starter off an LS2 Will it be smaller? and will It work? I really hope so cause I aint pullin that thing bad out again.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Lookin good man, if you can snap some pics from the top of the holt that you cut. I was looking at some pics after I got home last night and I think I need to make mine wider on the passengers side. Sucks about the starter thing too man, hope you get everything worked out.

Quick Reply: My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning