Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 02:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good man, hope you get it all finished up tomm. so im guessing the issue with your clutch and everything is fixed now, thats good, I know that was a pita pullin that thing out time after time.

Well I took out the ol 2.73's and put in some 3.42's tonight, and man what a diffrence. I dont think my car would even spin easing into it in 1st gear before, and now it blows em off like its nothing. Like night and day, and now I can actually even use 6th gear.

Hope everything goes smooth for you tomm, check in here and give me some updates if you get everything done, good luck.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

WOW... Good job, It looks great!
Old 05-24-2008, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Brings back swap memories.
Good job on the swap though.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Got it all done man, got to take it out and it feels f*cking amazing. But after a bit my headgaskets took a **** and I have to shut it down before hurt something major in my motor. I didn't get it hot at all, but it was dumping coolant out of my exhaust. Hopefully all that got hurt was the gaskets but I'll find out soon or else I'll be looking for some heads.

You should drive a car with 4.10s man, feels perfect IMHO it was only turning 2000 rpms in 5th gear at 50 mph When I get my new rear it wil more than likely have 4.56s
Old 05-26-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Silver98Formula79
WOW... Good job, It looks great!
Originally Posted by cpt_bimes
Brings back swap memories.
Good job on the swap though.
Thanks Guys

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Got it all done man, got to take it out and it feels f*cking amazing. But after a bit my headgaskets took a **** and I have to shut it down before hurt something major in my motor. I didn't get it hot at all, but it was dumping coolant out of my exhaust. Hopefully all that got hurt was the gaskets but I'll find out soon or else I'll be looking for some heads.

You should drive a car with 4.10s man, feels perfect IMHO it was only turning 2000 rpms in 5th gear at 50 mph When I get my new rear it wil more than likely have 4.56s
Glad to hear that you got it all buttoned back up, sux that your head gasket blew like that, but as long as it didnt get to hot you should be fine, im sure you can have it fixed soon. I know the swap makes me want to drive my car alot more.

Ive got 4.10's in another one of my cars and it has a 5-speed putting 4.10's in my T\A would be like having 3.73's in my 5-speed car. I would diff. go with 4.10's in my LS1 when I have my rear back apart. 3.42's are ok for now though, especially cause all my driving is highway and I have a really long haul to work.

My car is stock, all it has is a Lid and Catback, Im going to do, LT'S, ORY, then change my LM1 muffler out for something diff. Prob. Borlamouth. Ive been thinking alot lately about doing a small shot of spray, but who knows, cant do a whole lot cause this is my DD and I dont wanna lose my nice gas mileage. But anyways glad to hear you got it all done and hope you get those head gaskets fixed soon.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

^^ Thanks for the kind words man, I know what your saying about getting carried away with a DD. The part that sucks for me is that my Camaro is my nice day cruiser and it gets about 10 mpg better than my DD haha. My DD is a '97 tahoe and I get about 15 on adverage, I'm hoping to pull off some high teens or low 20s with the M6, I could get 19-20 with the auto not driving nice, but not crazy either.

But anyway I ordered the headgaskets that were in my motor the first time around, the felpro permatorque and they worked fine before so hopefully they will still be ok. Driving my car for those 5 miles was a complete blast. Part that sucked is the roads were damp but the damn thing pulled hard, I was really impressed. One other thing is when I was trying to start my car the battery was low and when it was cranking over the soleniod started clicking and my motor kicked back and broke a chunk out of my starter, so apperently the stock starters don't like 11.75:1 compression kicking back on them, but its got a lifetime warrenty thanks to my brother

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it will be out and ready to go by saturday night. How do you like your shifter BTW. My Pro 5.0 feels super nice
Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds good man, I really like my shifter alot more than I thought I would, havnt missed a gear yet and I like the way it feels, its kinda got a longer handle on it, but for me its perfict, thats the way I like em, its right where I can get to it.

I have a friend that has a pro 5.0 in his mach 1 and it feels really nice, I like it alot too.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

This is just what i needed. Im about to start my swap once my transmission gets here. Thanks for taking so many pictures!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

you welcome man, i want to help out as many people as I can, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Finally got it all back together man and the headgaskets were blown for sure. I just put some Felpro permatorque gaskets in and the problem is gone. I didn't get to drive it again because it was late and I still have a few things to finish up such as....bleed my front brakes again, adjust my shift stops in my shifter so I can use my even gears, set my pinion angle on my torque arm, and change my oil again. But I'll have it done this week for sure and be out shutting some stupid kids up that think their junk is quick

Everything still good with your swap? Did you ever hook up the reverse lockout? I just left mine unhooked but still in place, its kinda hard to get it into reverse but I can handle it for now.

And someone should sticky this hint hint
Old 06-02-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Black99ta Now all you need it some 3.73s or 4.10s like I have. You shift A LOT sooner with 4:10s than with them stock gears. You will love what the gears feel like too

Very nice job btw. Next time just buy an M6 lol
Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

went a little extreme with pulling the steering column not need to do that. I have more pics here if anyone wants to see
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i8...%20ls6%20swap/
Old 06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Finally got it all back together man and the headgaskets were blown for sure. I just put some Felpro permatorque gaskets in and the problem is gone. I didn't get to drive it again because it was late and I still have a few things to finish up such as....bleed my front brakes again, adjust my shift stops in my shifter so I can use my even gears, set my pinion angle on my torque arm, and change my oil again. But I'll have it done this week for sure and be out shutting some stupid kids up that think their junk is quick

Everything still good with your swap? Did you ever hook up the reverse lockout? I just left mine unhooked but still in place, its kinda hard to get it into reverse but I can handle it for now.

Reverse lockout was a cinch on my 98, and IMO makes the whole thing more "complete". At this point you wouldn't know my swap wasn't factory unless I told you.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey man glad to hear you got all the issues fixed with your car. let me know how you like it after you get to drive it a bit.

Everything is still doin good with my swap, im lovin it, fun as heck. I never hooked anything up with my reverse lockout yet eather and its really not to awful hard to get into reverse, but I will wire it up soon anyways. other than that everything is like factory.

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
Black99ta Now all you need it some 3.73s or 4.10s like I have. You shift A LOT sooner with 4:10s than with them stock gears. You will love what the gears feel like too

Very nice job btw. Next time just buy an M6 lol
Yeah I prob. go with some 3.73's or 4.10's next time I have the rear apart. The 3.42's are 100 times better than the 2.73's lol

Thanks for the comp. I was going to buy an M6 when I got the car but they where all expensive as heck, and thats when I could even find one. But now with the price of the car and swap included I have around 7400 bucks in it so im still happy.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks amazing man excellent job......
Old 08-05-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks alot
Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

I am in the same shoes. I wanted an M6 from the get go but I looked for 2 months and could not find a black one with leather and t-tops for a decent price. So I settled for an auto with the intention of doing the swap. Now my A4 has bit the dust, so now is the time.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1TXGuy
I am in the same shoes. I wanted an M6 from the get go but I looked for 2 months and could not find a black one with leather and t-tops for a decent price. So I settled for an auto with the intention of doing the swap. Now my A4 has bit the dust, so now is the time.

Well you came to the right place LOL, its really not bad at all. Just more time consuming than anything. Wiring wasn't easy but it wasn't hard either.

If you have any questions post them up here and we'll get everything answered for you

BTW Black hows the car treating you? Still liking everything? Mine is still working flawlessly, I haven't got the miles on it that I've wanted so far, but everything is pretty new and I have been working out the bugs. I should have a dyno tune here in the next few weeks, but I have to see how the money situation is first, Now I working on a new exhaust and some apperence mods like !4x4, tint, gunmetal wheels, painting the top black, and a few other odds and ends
Old 08-08-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey man, glad to hear you got your swap all buttoned up thats awesome. Yeah ive been lovin the swap its great and the car is super fun to drive, ive put tons of miles on the car since the swap and its still runnin great. those mods you where talkin about doin should look pretty sweet, you already have a really nice looking camaro, ive always really liked that color.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Launching!

What color wiring is for the vss

Quick Reply: My T56 Swap *Pics* 56k Warning