Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pilot bearing ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pilot bearing ???

im going to do a ls7 clutch swap on my camaro, im going to buy all the new 01-02 hydrolics. i wanted to know if i need to buy the pilot bearing, what dose it do exactly, or can i just keep the on i have. i heard its a pita to get out
Old 05-04-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately get a new one. It's not that hard to get out, just rent a puller or slide hammer from autozone. My original pilot bearing died at 90,000 miles and trashed my input shaft which meant a transmission rebuild with an extra $250 for an input shaft.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, put a new one in. Mine came apart and my input shaft seal threw trans fluid on my clutch ruining it. You can get a roller bearing one for around $15 at Advance Auto Parts.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

I too, am replacing hydraulics (MAC Master & Slave) after replacing a burned-up SPEC 3 with a LS6 clutch. This week The pedal wouldn't disengage the clutch, and bleeding doesn't help. I can hear the slave hissing out fluid through the bellhousing when the pedal is brought back up. I am buying a new rear main seal, and would like to know if a pilot bearing should be done when I do the rear main seal. I assume this bearing is what the trans input shaft slides into?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

I bought a pilot bearing when I ordered my ls2/ls7 package. Turned out my pilot bearing was as destroyed as it can get. Not to mention I find out my tranny is needing a complete rebuild thanks to the original owner not knowing how to drive a manual. Of course I wouldn't have this engine and tranny if he did know how to drive it, though.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a bushing instead. the bearings always come apart from the ones i've seen
Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, i ordered my cluth along with the pilot bearing and a new master, anyone have ant tips on how to get the pilot bearing out
Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rent a blind hole puller with a slide hammer attachment from Autozone.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

with mine, I found that a cheap puller wont get the job done, the fingers will flex and just slide out no matter how much pressure you put on it. there isnt much for the fingers to grab onto, and they just flex as you pull, and slide back through the bearing hole, ripping out needle bearings as it goes. I had to chisel mine out, and it was definitely not fun. for reference, I rented a pilot bearing puller from checker's, thinking it would be an easy task.

maybe yours will be less of a PITA, and you may be able to get it out that way, im not sure. if you do rent one, and it doesn't pull out easily, try heating the bearing up with a torch -be aware of the rear seal on the crank, dont torch that thing cherry-red- but do get the bearing itself too hot to touch, and then squirt wd-40 around it as its cooling. that may help ya some.

the best by far is a good slide hammer, with a fairly stout blind hole bearing attatchment.

if you can find a snap-on/mac/matco/cornwell or other good, stout high end name brand blind hole puller, those may be sturdy enough to pull it out without flexing too.

whatever you do, do NOT use the old "grease and socket" or "toilet paper /bread and water" trick... that is how most mechanics that are unfamilliar with this motor will tell you how to pop the pilot bearings out, problem is, we have a freeze plug of sorts behind the pilot bearing and those cute little tricks that work so well on a standard SBC or ford can possibly pop that plug out and drop it into the oil pan

good luck! the pilot bearing was the most difficult part of the clutch installs on my car before I bought a slide hammer, but at 15 bucks, it plays a pretty big role for not much money and it would be silly to not replace it while you are there.