Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can the "updated 01-02" slave cylinde be visually identified??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those new ones are both from autozone... Got the first one. Didnt like the fact that it had no part numbers. Went back after they re-stocked a week later, and the other one with the part numbers is what they had. Go figure.

Im going to be using the one with the AP number. I was going to swap bearings, but since the AP one has the bearing that closely matches the one that was in there, thats what Im going to use.

Maybe Ill report back in here after it goes together and I try it. Just to keep the info in one place.

J.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats why most of us just get it from the sponsors here,when you start buying different slaves from diff. parts houses,thats when the confusion begins.I bought mine from one of the sponsors,bolted it on and been problem free.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup...and I normally would go to our sponsers without question. However, it was $60 vs. $135 for something that could very well be the same part. I was hearing that AP makes the slaves for the local joints and for GM. So... To me it was worth the hassle. And now that Im looking at buying a new clutch, that extra little bit of money helps some.

If it doesnt work...then I guess Ill be taking it apart again. haha.

J.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

its the same part lol ap makes teh stuff for the gm. if you can buy it for half the price then do it why throw money way when u could buy something else with it if not just give me the extra money
Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Yup...and I normally would go to our sponsers without question. However, it was $60 vs. $135 for something that could very well be the same part. I was hearing that AP makes the slaves for the local joints and for GM. So... To me it was worth the hassle. And now that Im looking at buying a new clutch, that extra little bit of money helps some.

If it doesnt work...then I guess Ill be taking it apart again. haha.

J.
completely agree with you.we all want to save money.I was in the same spot as you when I did the tranny.but I also want the peace of mind and less hassle of getting the right part from knowledgeable people that deals/work with our cars.For the $60 that it will save compared to taking the tranny down again was worth it.trust me if those guys at Autozone or Pepboys are 100% sure are what they are selling me without looking at their computer,I would buy it from them.

good luck on your install!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha..yeah man I know what ya mean. I worked at autozone for 3 years awhile back. I dont go in there unless I already know the part numbers for what I need. I just use that place as my parts storage house more or less. haha.

We'll see. Hopefully Im ok. I might be pulling it all apart again anyway if the LS7 clutch doesnt work out for me. Hopefully she'll stay together for awhile this time around

J.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

I have been following this thread and then no updates. well, today I went to auto zone and got the no-name slave cylinder with the greenist tint for $73. It came in a bag and wondered if everyone gets this bag. I'm still putting in my transmission because its 10 times better than my '99 rotted out slave that I can easily press the spring down with one hand while the new one takes both hands to depress.

What the labels say:
fenco quality engineering
cs2255
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Product of China

Old 06-05-2008, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

No updates because the thread was pretty much over... haha. I re-ordered the slave, got the one with the correct part number, returned the one with blank casting. Havent tried it yet because the car is in pieces right now. And yes...I got the same bag from the zone. There is also an o-ring in there that I guess is for the hydraulic line fitting.

J.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Update: I just called auto zone and the slave they got there is $64.99 and has AP d951004 on it. Also called GM and there's has the same
Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man this thread's been dead awhile!

Problem with what autozone told you is... the next store you call might have the one that I got...with no stamping. Or if you buy the one your store has, the next one they get in might be a blank casting. They are reman castings, hence the cheaper price and inconsistency with the casting markings.

Thats just what I learned when looking at them, and while working there.

J.

Quick Reply: Can the "updated 01-02" slave cylinde be visually identified??