Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new LS7/LS2 clutch assembly engages to far out..??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new LS7/LS2 clutch assembly engages to far out..??

To summarize, I have a new LS7 clutch LS2 flywheel installed. I broke it in over about 500 miles, the recommended mileage of course.
At first the pedal was nice and stiff and the clutch grabbed literally right off the floor which I liked.
Now as time wore on, ( I drive my car nicely with the occasional laying into but shifting nicely but rather quickly) the peddle has gotten less stiff, not a big deal. But now it engages much higher off the floor, maybe the last inch.
The clutch I dont believe is slipping as when I lay into the tach climbs and the car is accelerating.
I preferred it off the floor or much closer to it.
Anyone else have this experience? what solutions have you found (i.e. replacing clutch fluid, etc), new adjustable master cylinder (are they easy to replace?) price wise they are not too bad.
any feedback greatly appreciated. I hope I have been elaborate in describing this.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The clutch is finally broke in and that is the reason it is releasing higher up(like a stock car would). It's normal; mine did it
Old 05-12-2008, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Oh ok. But I mean literally like it only grabs like the last inch or so. Theres a lot of free play.

I guess maybe investing in a RAM adjustable master cylinder is not worth it then. This is a normal thing...
By the way, any feedback on the RAM adj master cylinder?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the stock one in my car but you might try a search to see if anything comes up on it
Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

From doing one or two reads in some threads...seems my experience is standard. Starts low and works it way up, holds great though and at first the pedal was really hard, softens up. I like it now and it seems like all the wear and tear is normal.
I guess no need for the RAM adjustable master.
I do understand the way to know if a clutch is slipping is to go on the freeway to about 70mph, be in 6th gear and floor it. If the car stumbles or does not move but you can hear motor trying, clutch is good and holding. RPMs spin up, bad clutch or engagement of some kind???
thats what I understand.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

yes that it correct, if your clutch is going to slip, bogging the motor down and hitting the gas hard would do it, what you stated is the way I always check to see if my clutch is slipping.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

nice. when I lay into the throttle or give those spikes of the gas I can tell the clutch holds. I had a bad slave before with my LS1 clutch so I did the whole assembly...smart.
So I'll test it out soon. Im sure its fine...im just one of those guys-and Im sure im not alone.
The initial curiosity was because of the pedal movement changing after clutch break in...I see now its all normal and.....
LA invasion will for sure show!!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think of it this way, if the clutch is only grabbing in the last amount, then the full press into the clutch should be releasing a lot more than normal, right?

Do the clutch drag test to verify that you aren't pressing in on an air trapped in the line. While in gear ie 1st on a level surface, press the clutch in completely and bring it up to 6k rpm. Do not dump the clutch. If the car starts rolling forward, you have clutch drag and a problem or you are lucky and are getting a lot of leeway to the disengagement of the clutch.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:42 AM
On The Tree

Thats interesting. So, its called clutch drag. I take it from what you say that more clutch play in the pedal is a good thing. I prefer a clutch that grabs lower in the pedal, but if I have no problems...I should be thankful.
So, I need to be on a level surface. 2) I need push in the clutch pedal to the floor and then raise rpm to 6k while holding clutch pedal all the way so clutch is disengaged. If car moves, clutch is " dragging". If not...all is fine and I have some play.
I just dont want to burn out my nice LS7/LS2 clutch assembly up.

Quick Reply: new LS7/LS2 clutch assembly engages to far out..??