Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

10,000 Mile T-56 went tits up on me!!! HELP!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation 10,000 Mile T-56 went **** up on me!!! HELP!

OK first off I have no pictures or nothing obviously so I'll just tell you guys what I know and we'll go from there.

I went to the dyno yesterday to get the car Dyno'd for the first time and get it tuned with HP tuners. Outstanding, it dyno'd 363hp and 372ftlbs. with bolt ons.

After the 2nd pull the individual that worked at the shop running my car said he was having diffuculty putting it into 3rd... he tried putting it into third but once he released the clutch it'd grind and spit the shifter out of gear.

I let the car cool after I was done and I took it for a drive. Not only does it spit the gear out in 3rd when you released the clutch it does the same thing to 1st, 5th, and reverse. So now only 2nd, 4th and 6th gear work. I managed to get 5th and reverse to work a few times but not worth a ****.

My car has 10,000 miles on it guys and I don't rag on my car I baby the **** out of it. I bought it when it had 7,800 miles on it two years ago and have put less than 3,000 miles on it now, it hasn't even seen rain. No burnouts or powershifting. Yes I have missed 3rd twice maybe but that was a long while back. It just pisses me off how often I hear these trannys are hardcore and mine goes to **** on a dyno in front of a bunch of Viper and Terminator guys.

Hopefully all you T-56 guru's and Six Speeds Inc can chime in and give me a word of advice and what kind of damage and money I'm looking at here. I know it isn't going to be pretty. I'm a military guy that just returned from the desert 3 days ago and I get to deal with this now. My daily driver also took a **** today... these past few days been horendous. Sorry.. ending rant.

Last edited by Pipelayaz; 05-26-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Banned

Well, since it won't go into gear I would think it has to do with the hydraulics, try replacing the clutch fluid/bleeding your clutch and see if that helps

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
I let the car cool after I was done and I took it for a drive. Not only does it spit the gear out in 3rd when you released the clutch it does the same thing to 1st, 5th, and reverse. So now only 2nd, 4th and 6th gear work. I managed to get 5th and reverse to work a few times but not worth a ****.
Will it only go into 2, 4, and 6th though?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Umm,since your missing 1,3,5 I would tend to believe you have an aftermarket shifter and the stops has moved to prevent the shifter from going all the way forward into the gears.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Umm,since your missing 1,3,5 I would tend to believe you have an aftermarket shifter and the stops has moved to prevent the shifter from going all the way forward into the gears.
Yeah check the stops; I've had that happen once, scared the **** out of me too.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Super Speed
Well, since it won't go into gear I would think it has to do with the hydraulics, try replacing the clutch fluid/bleeding your clutch and see if that helps

Will it only go into 2, 4, and 6th though?
Yes only those gears... the fluid is fine. It looks great. 10,000 mile car shouldn't be doing this.

I'll check the stops and get back with you guys... I have a 5.0 shifter..
Old 05-26-2008, 10:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Slowhawk mentioned - the shifter stops are your problem.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like everyone else said...your shifter is out of adjustment. If it were going out usually you would see one gear go at a time, but all three of those gears going out and all just happen to be a forward shift is pointing right to your shifter.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:09 PM
CARTEK Racing

I had the same thing happen to me but with the 2, 4 and 6 when I first installed my Pro-5.0 Scared the poop out of me. But once I adjusted the rear stop everything was fine. And since they Ive run 10.3's on the stock tranny.

I would put money on it being the stops on the shifter.

Good Luck!
Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah you guys were deff right. The shifter stops was the root of the problem. The top stop was loose as hell, so I went ahead and tightened the **** out of it. I don't even know why they have those in there to begin with. One day when I'm bored I'm going to cut those out of there. I'm so glad thats all it was! I was freaking out pretty hard there for a bit... Thanks again guys!!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Yeah you guys were deff right. The shifter stops was the root of the problem. The top stop was loose as hell, so I went ahead and tightened the **** out of it. I don't even know why they have those in there to begin with. One day when I'm bored I'm going to cut those out of there. I'm so glad thats all it was! I was freaking out pretty hard there for a bit... Thanks again guys!!

The stops are worth keeping. They are there so that you don't shift "too far", which could damage the shift forks, or so legend has it.

Set them according to the directions, use a little blue loctite, and you're good to go.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:15 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
The stops are worth keeping. They are there so that you don't shift "too far", which could damage the shift forks, or so legend has it.

Set them according to the directions, use a little blue loctite, and you're good to go.
+1

I would not get rid of them. They are there for a reason. Simply adjust them correctly and everything will be fine.

Search this Thread