Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What clutch for 800+rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
a t56 built to hold 800+ hp probably gonna run you 3,000-5,000 depending on builder.

Chris
LOL

You can get a beef *** T56 from six speeds inc that has supported a viper to 8.20's and 1600whp for 2700 with a core or right over 3k without one.

As far as a clutch, go with a spec 5. We (RPM in NC) tuned a 900whp 418 ci 82mm turbo t56 car on 325DR's, 12 bolt, etc. It is holding fine (even with racing) to this day, as an almost daily driven car months later. Its also significantly cheaper than a twin disc. if youre going street car, Id go with that.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
3rd that as well. Have a brand new one on the shelf from a customer that decided to go auto......probably can get you a great deal on it.

Ill 4th that haha
Old 07-03-2008, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

spec 5 - held great. sounded like ****. grinding feeling felt like poo. drivability wasn't too bad. if you dont mind the grinding and squeal, a nice cheap resolution

spec twin p-trim - holds great, feels like ****. chatters to ALL HELL. engagement is shitty from a stop. do not like, and the measurements are off. just took it out of a friends car after 500 miles because it is crap

mcleod twin disc - amazing. feels like stock, engages like stock, holds great, no issues. supplied master is **** though, but there are threads on that subject. definitely happy with this clutch
Old 07-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
spec 5 - held great. sounded like ****. grinding feeling felt like poo. drivability wasn't too bad. if you dont mind the grinding and squeal, a nice cheap resolution

spec twin p-trim - holds great, feels like ****. chatters to ALL HELL. engagement is shitty from a stop. do not like, and the measurements are off. just took it out of a friends car after 500 miles because it is crap

mcleod twin disc - amazing. feels like stock, engages like stock, holds great, no issues. supplied master is **** though, but there are threads on that subject. definitely happy with this clutch

I LOVE mcleods but the fact that you have to get it balanced out of the box pisses me off. Why sell a clutch that you can not bolt right into the car? For that reason i doubt ill buy another.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

mine said that it was zero balanced right on the slip....

i read that a couple times on here and wondered the same thing. maybe they changed their method, or maybe people on here are just confused, but it said straight up in the directions that the clutch was factory zero balanced
Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about a Spec 3+. If a Spec 5 can hold all that power a spec 3+ shouldnt have a problem wither, seeing as how it has a higher torque rating.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Launching!

listen to the guy thats been down this road. ^^ the speed inc guys swear by the Mcleod as well. They need to be rebuilt periodically though from what I've read. The only other high HP guy that actually post up about their setups that is a manuel and hasent, is Tiago and he's running a Spec 5. He also runs a face plated trans and that with a sintered iron disc makes way to much noise for me. But he's making #'s where he doesn't have much of a choice I think. Last I saw him post, he was still beaking trannys.

I know Inspector is running the Tex triple in both his cars and loves it, but that seems like its got to be adding too much rotating mass to me.

And as far as a T56 holding up...I asked sixspeedinc about their stage 4B or what ever the highest they offered, and they only rate it to 750. And that package is without upgraded input/output shafts, their extra. But reading a post from speedinc IIRC, he said they had built T56's shear the teeth off a countershaft gear once they broke the 800 rwt barrier on the street on DR's. They said the G-Force trans holds up great. I looked into one...5 grand.

Last edited by Subliminal Hit; 07-03-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Teching In

I'm changing out my McLeod twin disc right now. It worked great for at least 600 hp. But it started slipping in 4th gear when I hit ~12 psi of boost. So I stepped up to the RPS triple carbon. I'm in the middle of installing it now, so I don't have any impressions yet besides it's a B*TCH to install. Oh, the McLeod had 5K street miles on it and just recently have I really started turning up the boost. It still has a lot of meat on the plates. Just not quite enough at whatever HP I'm making at 12 psi.

Derrick
Old 07-05-2008, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

After killing two Exoskels, I went with a Mcloed Twin with the upgraded Miba liners. Clutch seems to be true and tried with the really fast 6speed cars in the country. I did have to have it balanced before install though, it was 5 grams out. Bad *** clutch though! I would get the Miba liners on it for sure though, it is a 400 dollar upgrade but bring the power holding capacity way up. And you can get the alum flywheel to get the weight down on it, as mine only weighted 41lbs together. A steel flywheel version is 52 lbs.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We run SPEC twins and the T56 with hardened output shafts in our 800+rwhp street/track cars.Never a problem.Best clutch I've ever used for long term.Don't know about the newer Mcleods since the last one we used was the organic years ago and that blew. RPS -never touch those again.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an exo-skel new in the box im trying to sell cause i wanna go th400.

Never heard of any problems with the, like people had with the spec twin.

if you're interested shoot me a pm. Couple folks running it past 900hp.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Launching!

slowhawks opinion is always a valued one. def take this into account.

I think a lot of clutches get a bad rep because of the installer. Bad flywheel surfaces, debris, no thread lock, not torqueing bolts. The easiest thing to do is get on the net and start blameing the part.

I'm still running the clutch that I bought my car with at 53,xxx miles. Its chattered from the first time I drove it so I know its aftermarket(I think its a spec 3 or a ram), and I'm sure I'm making over 600 whp this year. I haven't had any slicks on the car yet, but I've been into it plenty of times in 3rd gear with no slip on the street.

Quick Reply: What clutch for 800+rwhp