Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How do I check my tranny fluid???? 99 M6 (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I check my tranny fluid???? 99 M6 (pics)

Ok, I have no idea where I can check it at, yes call me a dumbass but I looked all over my engine bay for the red dipstick and I simply could not find it!!! ARGH
here are some pics for you to help point it out to me:

http://www.ssgraphix.com/car/images/DCP_0001.jpg
http://www.ssgraphix.com/car/images/DCP_0002.jpg

The reason I am doing this is because I have an output shaft seal leak, and I want to make sure I am not low.

Thanks
-Steve
Old 08-21-2003, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: How do I check my tranny fluid???? 99 M6 (pics)

Manual transmissions dont have a dip stick on any car. There is a plug(bolt) on the side of the transmission. Im not sure what the level is suppose to be. There may be two plugs, a fill plug and an overflow plug. If thats the case, fill untill you see fluid coming out of the over flow plug No matter what you have to get under the car.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

exactly, A4's have the dipstick
Old 08-21-2003, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well doesn't that just suck.

Has anyone here done this proceedure? I'd like to do it on my own if it's not too big of a PITA
thanks
-Steve
Old 08-21-2003, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

No, its not a PITA. If you can change your oil you can change the M6 trans fluid. There'll be a fill plug on the side about halfway up the side of the trans. The drain plug is at or near the bottom. Just get the car up (safely) high enough to work underneath - its best if the car is level. Now, remove the drainplug and let drain. Reinstall drainplug, remove fill plug, and fill until it starts to overflow. Then reinstall the fill plug. You can pick up one of those little hand pumps that'll screw onto an oil container at your local autoparts store (figure $5 or less). This will make filling it much easier.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where is the fill plug located?
thanks
-Steve
Old 08-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Jack up the car and level it out. climb underneath, on the driverside half way and right around the middle of the trans there is a pipe plug with a 3/8 square hole. a reg. 3/8 ratchet will go in the plug and loosen the plug, pull it out and stick your pinkey in the hole. if you feel fluid it's full, but while you are under there, there is a plug of the same size on the other side of the trans, that one is the drain plug. make sure you have enouf fluid to fill it back up figure at least 7 quarts and a way to pump the fluid into the fill hole. ask you parts store guy for his advise. when you put pipe thead sealer on the plug treads and reinstall the drain bolt, fill the trans untill it starts running out. when it stops dripping from the fill hole clean the inside treads and put pipe thread sealer on the plug and install it. remember there pipe plugs so the don't have to be super tight. it is a steel plug in a aluminum body and will get stuck if you don't seal the treads and over tighten it.

good luck and enjoy.

Ken

Quick Reply: How do I check my tranny fluid???? 99 M6 (pics)